Thunderbird and gmail IMAP Do Not Work

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
dkw

Thunderbird and gmail IMAP Do Not Work

Post by dkw »

Using Imap With Thunderbird 60.0

The only thing does work is if I delete messages from the Thunderbird gmail inbox, they are actually deleted from the gmail server inbox.

Messages sent from Thunderbird appear in the Thunderbird gmail inbox and in the gmail server inbox.

"Deleting" messages from Sent and All Mail "boxes" in Thunderbird does not delete those messages in the gmail account.

Emptying gmail Trash on Thunderbird does not empty Trash on the gmail server.

What is this nonsense?
tanstaafl

Re: Thunderbird and gmail IMAP Do Not Work

Post by tanstaafl »

What is "when I delete a message" set to in the accounts server settings?

Have you tweaked any of the webmail settings that effect what it should do when a message is deleted (they effect Thunderbird, despite being set via webmail)?

The sent folder is normally the "sent mail" folder, if only because you can't disable the gmail smtp server from saving a copy there when you send a message. Why are you using a "sent" folder too, and what saves messages to it?

From http://kb.mozillazine.org/Gmail :

"Gmail periodically re-indexs your mailbox. If you're using a IMAP server its possible deleted messages from your Sent Mail folder might get resurrected when that happens. You can prevent that by setting "When a message is marked as deleted and expunged from the last visible IMAP folder:" to "Immediately delete the message forever" in Gmail webmail's "Forwarding and POP/IMAP" settings"

"Gmail recommends that you do not use [Gmail]/Trash as your Trash folder since Gmail only keeps a single copy of a message with multiple labels. If you delete a message that way you're also telling it to delete the same message from any other folder (label) that has that message. Gmail recommends not making Thunderbird move deleted mail into any folder and instead choose "Just mark it as deleted" from "When I delete a message" in Account Settings -> Server Settings."

"If you look at the All Mail folder([Gmail]/All Mail of IMAP) using Gmails webmail it will label any IMAP messages with the name of the folder. If you delete a message in Thunderbird it simply removes that folder's label from the message. Compacting the folder doesn't remove the message from the All Mail folder([Gmail]/All Mail of IMAP). You need to move it to the Trash or Spam folder([Gmail]/All Mail or [Gmail]/Spam of IMAP) to delete the message from all folders."
dkw

Re: Thunderbird and gmail IMAP Do Not Work

Post by dkw »

These problems were solved by selecting the following GMAIL option --

When I mark a message in IMAP as deleted:
Auto-Expunge on - Immediately update the server. (default) <<<< Select this option
Auto-Expunge off - Wait for the client to update the server.

The other option, which I was using -- Auto-Expunge off - Wait for the client to update the -- implies that Thunderbird can synchronize the GMAIL IMAP folders with operations done on the GMAIL folders in Thunderbird. It never does. For example --

GMAIL IMAP "folder" (label) Name---------------Thunderbird Gmail IMAP folder Name
SENT------------------------------------------------Sent Mail

When messages are deleted from Thunderbird's Sent Mail folder they are NEVER deleted from GMAIL's SENT "folder."