v52.9.1 is "up to date". But what about v60???

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
thechamlin

v52.9.1 is "up to date". But what about v60???

Post by thechamlin »

Why isn't my TB updating to 60?
James

Re: v52.9.1 is "up to date". But what about v60???

Post by James »

From https://www.thunderbird.net/thunderbird ... easenotes/ which is on https://www.thunderbird.net/
Thunderbird version 60.0 is only offered as direct download from thunderbird.net and not as upgrade from Thunderbird version 52 or earlier. A future version 60.1 will provide updates from earlier versions.
thechamlin

Post by thechamlin »

Thanks, James. Can one download 60, install on a new machine, then simply copy prior profiles to the appropriate folder?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Yes. However, profiles.ini needs to know about those profiles. One way to do that is to simply copy the existing Profiles directory tree and its child directories to the new PC, so that it uses the old profiles.ini file. I'm assuming you will use the same drive letter for the boot partition and Windows login username on both PCs. Otherwise see http://kb.mozillazine.org/Moving_your_p ... hunderbird

The release notes mention that "Add-ons not marked as compatible with Thunderbird 60 by their authors will be disabled (this can be reverted via preference extensions.strictCompatibility)" . Be aware that even doing that, many unmaintained add-ons won't work. Its hit and miss.
thechamlin

Post by thechamlin »

Thanks tanstaafl. All good with the add-ons part. BUT...

Profiles.ini is located in C:\Users\Chamlin\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird
The actual profiles are resident on my data drive, (E:)

When I do a fresh install of Windows and then install TB v60, there won't be a profiles.ini that knows anything. Do I copy the existing one and then paste it into the new "C:\Users\Chamlin\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird ???
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Ok. You have a non-standard location for your profile so just copying the profiles tree won't work. Copy the old profiles.ini to C:\Users\Chamlin\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird and copy the old profile to drive E: on the new PC. Help -> troubleshooting information -> open folder in Thunderbird will open windows explorer/file explorer at your current profile, if you're not sure you know the exact location on drive E:.

I'm assuming the new PC will have a data drive E: just like the old PC. If it doesn't copy the profile to wherever you want it and modify the location specified in profiles.ini . Its usually less error prone to change "IsRelative=1" to "IsRelative=0" (non-relative/full path) before
changing the "Path=" line to the actual location of the profile folder (use the full, complete path).

If profiles.ini has any references to other profiles you need to delete the entry for them in that file. Thunderbird will not ignore an entry that specifies a profile that doesn't exist, even though you are not trying to use it.
thechamlin

Post by thechamlin »

Thanks for the clarity. I have copied the .ini file and will be able to paste it back to it's "roaming" location so the non-standard locations will work. New "BUT"!

I had the profiles on the "data" drive because that drive is backed up in real time. This was relevant when these were pop mail accounts. Now, as IMAP accounts, that's not really necessary. SO...

QUESTION: When I reinstall Windows, I now like the idea of having the profiles reside where they traditionally do. To accomplish this, do I simply use the newly installed Thunderbird's default profiles.ini and place my 3 profile folders in C:\Users\<Windows user name>\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\Profiles\<Profile name>\ ??? :)
yzg

Post by yzg »

I have updated to version 60. I did not like the new UI look and my addons stopped working. So I reverted back to version 52.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

The ConfigMyBird add-on can be used to reverse many of the changes in appearance.
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

yzg wrote:I have updated to version 60. I did not like the new UI look and my addons stopped working. So I reverted back to version 52.
yzg,

Agree completely... 52 is the gold standard for me and XUL extensions are essential. Will not move to newer versions, so am looking for alternatives.
-N- Si vis pacem, para bellum
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome