Thunderbird forgot my master password.

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
stapei

Thunderbird forgot my master password.

Post by stapei »

Hey everyone,

I just had an issue where Thunderbird started and crashed with a message saying that one of my emails is being processed, so I force closed it and when I restarted the application I didn't have to type in my master password to get access to my emails anymore. When I went to reset the password it showed that I had no current master password which I found very strange.

I got a little paranoid when it didn't ask me for a password so was just wondering about what could have happened.

Some advice would be appreciated.

Thanks for reading.
DanRaisch

Re: Thunderbird forgot my master password.

Post by DanRaisch »

It sounds like one of the file containing password information was trashed when that crash occurred. You should be able to set a new master password to restore that functionality. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Master_password
stapei

Post by stapei »

DanRaisch wrote:It sounds like one of the file containing password information was trashed when that crash occurred. You should be able to set a new master password to restore that functionality. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Master_password
Oh, so there is nothing for me to be paranoid / worried about right?

Yep I already put in a new master password.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

No reason for paranoia. If the master password had simply disappeared during regular use it would be different but you had the crash as a quite reasonable cause for the disappearance.
stapei

Post by stapei »

DanRaisch wrote:No reason for paranoia. If the master password had simply disappeared during regular use it would be different but you had the crash as a quite reasonable cause for the disappearance.

Thank you very much for the advice!