Transferring TB to another PC . . .

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Bruce L.

Transferring TB to another PC . . .

Post by Bruce L. »

Wow, I've read so many versions of how to do this off this site, then I came here and found the "concise" version -- and that's anything but concise. It's all insane to me, and wouldn't be worth the effort if those were the only ways.

I believe the program made for doing this (easily!) is not up to date or something? I did this with TB and Firefox a couple of years ago and it was fairly easy. The program I used had a .pcv extension. Are those the correct ones? Will they still work? The files are dated August 2016.

I'm going from W7 to W10.
Haircut

Re: Transferring TB to another PC . . .

Post by Haircut »

This likely what you are looking for http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/ It isn't being developed anymore but it still works for me.

What I usually do when transferring the profile (rather than backing up) is to install TB on the new machine but ignore its request to set up your email accounts. Go to the old machine, and click on help , troubleshooting information. Look for " Profile Directory " and click on "Open Directory". Copy everything there to a usb drive. Go to the new machine and go to the same places. Shutdown TB and copy everything from the usb drive to the open directory.
Bruce L.

Post by Bruce L. »

Haircut wrote:This likely what you are looking for http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/ It isn't being developed anymore but it still works for me.

What I usually do when transferring the profile (rather than backing up) is to install TB on the new machine but ignore its request to set up your email accounts. Go to the old machine, and click on help , troubleshooting information. Look for " Profile Directory " and click on "Open Directory". Copy everything there to a usb drive. Go to the new machine and go to the same places. Shutdown TB and copy everything from the usb drive to the open directory.
Thanks for the reply. I already installed TB on the new machine, with one of my two accounts active. Now what? :?:
Bruce L.

Post by Bruce L. »

UPDATE: It worked! TB went seamlessly.

FF: it didn't import the old bookmarks then I saw that it created a separate "json" file, which vaguely sounded familiar. I imported that into the new browser and the old bookmarks are now in my new laptop.

Thanks! Not sure I would have tried the old 2011 version of MozBackup on my own.