MozillaZine

Messages disappeared after folder repair.....

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
davehants

Post Posted September 9th, 2018, 8:31 am

My windows 7 laptop suffered a blue screen. My email Thunderbird was open at the time. After restarting when I went into my global Local Folder Inbox the messages for the last 3 months were in the list but when I clicked on them to open them they were all empty.

I could actually see the message content in the ....\Mail\Local Folders\Inbox.mozmsgs folder as individual .wdseml messages. When viewing them with notepad I could see their content.

I did a "repair" of the inbox using right click, properties, repair. After this, the empty messages completed disappeared from the list of messages in the inbox. Deleting the corresponding index file ".msf" and restarting Thunderbird did not bring them back.

And ideas where they could have gone?

Regards, Dave.

DanRaisch

Post Posted September 9th, 2018, 9:12 am

The file inbox.mozmsgs is not the file Thunderbird uses when you access messages. It's only used in conjunction with Win 7 search to facilitate indexing. The mbox files that Thunderbird itself uses have no filename extension. As Thunderbird was running when the blue screen occurred, that mbox file was likely corrupted and the data lost. Look for the file Inbox, with no extension and open that file using a text editor to see if any useful data is still present.

davehants

Post Posted September 9th, 2018, 1:37 pm

Ahh, thanks Dan. That's what I was afraid of. No, there was no useful data in file "inbox" in that folder.

In the end, I did an import of the mozmsgs folder into a dummy mail folder and then moved them back into Inbox.

I think I got most things. Obviously, any ones that I had deleted since the search function had created them were now in my inbox again which I had to go thru individually to clear out.

Return to Thunderbird Support