TB is frequently reloading all AOL mail headers

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Ed1

TB is frequently reloading all AOL mail headers

Post by Ed1 »

Lately, TB has started to reload all or a large portion of the total number of email headers in my AOL IMAP inbox each time TB is opened. I have compacted all folders, but this doesn't seem to affect things. I have TB set to download only message headers until an individual message is opened.

I have posted separately about TB's junk mail controls misbehaving (not running automatically) recently as well. I don't know if that is related.

Why am I suddenly having these issues when everything has been running fine for many years?
tanstaafl

Re: TB is frequently reloading all AOL mail headers

Post by tanstaafl »

Thunderbird checks for new mail when opening a folder in a IMAP account unless you are working in offline mode. When it does that it will fetch all of the headers for the folder. You can control what messages it downloads in synchronization & storage . That is different, that mainly controls what gets stored in a offline folder (local, sync'd copy of the remote folder on the mail server) on your hard disk.

How did you "have TB set to download only message headers until an individual message is opened."? Please be explicit.

See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Entire_messag ... AP_message

If you disabled offline folders but enabled global search/indexing, global search will automatically download a copy of all of your messages in order to build its search index. Did you change any settings shortly before this problem started?
Ed1

Post by Ed1 »

tanstaafl, in Tools > Options > Advanced > General, Enable global search and indexer is unchecked.

I have made no changes to these or any other settings recently, nor have their been any changes in Addons recently. I can't find a setting to disable offline folders, but in any case haven't made any changes to it recently.

In the Folder Pane, I click on my AOL account name and the Account Settings box opens. In Synchronization and Storage, the Message Synchronization/Keep messages for this account on this computer box is unchecked. There has been no change to this setting in years.

I suspect there may be an issue on AOL's server side, as similar reloading of this mail account's Inbox has started happening on my iPhone as well. I was hoping someone on these forums had some information or experience with this. Haven't found anything with a Google search.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

If the same thing is happening on a iPhone than I agree with you that it seems like its due to a problem with the AOL server.

I couldn't find any AOL community forums, which is surprising. You might try sending email to the customer support via the link at https://help.aol.com