IMAP accounts folder tree refresh?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Clued2it

IMAP accounts folder tree refresh?

Post by Clued2it »

I notice that when I press the button to refresh all accounts or press Shift-F5, then the folder tree is not refreshed in order to show the updated unread messages numbers. Folders appear to be updated if I click on each one individually.

Is there a setting to actually synchronize the folder tree with Gmail and or Yahoo mail accounts and update the TB folders tree accordingly?

If it's important I use Unified folders.

[Windows 10 Pro 64 bit]
tanstaafl

Re: IMAP accounts folder tree refresh?

Post by tanstaafl »

Pressing the get messages button normally only refreshes the folder listing for the inbox folders. If you right click on another folder in the folder pane, select properties, and check the checkmark for "when getting messages for this account always check this folder" its supposed to refresh those folders too. That's not free, it (or at least it used to last time I checked) uses up another server connection. The maximum number of server connections is specified in the IMAP account server settings -> advanced section. It can also be overruled by the server, Courier IMAP servers for example by default impose a limit of 4 connections per IP address.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/IMAP:_advance ... figuration

In practice, if you have offline folders enabled and/or global search/indexing that creates connections as needed to fetch messages for all of the folders. Information about new messages leaks from that code into the folder listing. It may not occur though at the same time you are checking for new mail (either by pressing the button or due to a periodic refresh). This was confirmed by a bug report I wrote in the 3.x timeframe about this where the architect confirmed that information about new messages was supposed to leak that way.

How much of this has changed (if any) in the last couple of years I don't know.
Clued2it

Re: IMAP accounts folder tree refresh?

Post by Clued2it »

Thank you for the information. Based on what you wrote I found a few relevant articles in the knowledge base that I'm going to read.