Want to Go Back to Previous Version

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
a.k.a. Djeau

Want to Go Back to Previous Version

Post by a.k.a. Djeau »

I have been running the Bird version 60 for about a week or two now. It does seems to load and run faster. BUT... I very much miss my addons, themes and extensions. I also lost my ad blocking capability.

How do I get my previous (working!) version????
Joe/Joseph/Dad/Pop/Poppop/”Djeau”
mgagnonlv

Re: Want to Go Back to Previous Version

Post by mgagnonlv »

There are a few possibilities.

1. Make Thunderbird 60 compatible

Thunderbird 60 went for strict compatibility of extensions. It is quite possible to change this requirement and reactivate most old extensions. How to do that?

– Click on ALT to see full menus, then select Tools –> Options –> Advanced. CLick on the "Configuration Editor" button.
– Search for the string "Compatibility"
– Right-click on "extensions.strictCompatibility" and select Invert to make its value "False".

If you want an even broader compatibility (which may or may not work, depending on which extensions), you may add a string the following way:
– Right-click in an empty space and select New –> Boolean Value.
– Enter the string "extensions.checkCompatibility.60.0", click OK, then select the value "False".

At that point, close and restart Thunderbird. Most, maybe all, your extensions should be activated. You will have to check that they do their job.
Right now, the only extension problem I have is with "Provider for Google Calendar": version 4.4.1 has a bug with reminders and version 3.3 is OK (version 3.3 works with TB 52.x). A correction will be available with version 4.4.2 (when?).

2. Replace with Thunderbird 52

Make a copy of your profile beforehand just in case. Basically, I have done that by installing TB 52.9 over TB 60. It worked except for Lightning that disappeared. (if you had installed TB 60 64-bits, you will have to uninstall it first).

– Install the old Thunderbird.

– Look at your extensions.
If you still see Lightning 6.2 (or 6.3?), uninstall it.
If you have "Provider for Google Calendar" v. 4.4.x, uninstall it.

– Visit this page https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/ca ... hunderbird to use the integrated Lightning version.
– Reinstall Provider for Google Calendar, v. 3.3 (check for "More versions" at the bottom of that page).
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada)
a.k.a. Djeau

Post by a.k.a. Djeau »

[quote="mgagnonlv"]There are a few possibilities.

1. Make Thunderbird 60 compatible

Thunderbird 60 went for strict compatibility of extensions. It is quite possible to change this requirement and reactivate most old extensions. How to do that?

– Click on ALT to see full menus, then select Tools –> Options –> Advanced. CLick on the "Configuration Editor" button.
– Search for the string "Compatibility"
– Right-click on "extensions.strictCompatibility" and select Invert to make its value "False".

If you want an even broader compatibility (which may or may not work, depending on which extensions), you may add a string the following way:
– Right-click in an empty space and select New –> Boolean Value.
– Enter the string "extensions.checkCompatibility.60.0", click OK, then select the value "False".

Tried both of these fixes and rebooted, but only seemed to return Extensions, but NO Themes or Plug-ins. Moved on to next procedure 2. below.

2. Replace with Thunderbird 52

Make a copy of your profile beforehand just in case. Basically, I have done that by installing TB 52.9 over TB 60. It worked except for Lightning that disappeared. (if you had installed TB 60 64-bits, you will have to uninstall it first).

The version 60 I have is (32-bit). Problem: Love to re-install 52, WHERE CAN I GET IT?

I appreciate your patience. Especially since it has been quite a few years that I have been this deep into Thunderbird's "guts". I look forward to your comments...
Joe/Joseph/Dad/Pop/Poppop/”Djeau”
lasardo

Post by lasardo »

The 32-bit US English installer is here https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/thunderbird ... n32/en-US/ you can go higher in the website for other variations and versions.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Go_back_to_an ... hunderbird has more details on how to find a older version.