Feedback to Thunderbird

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Claud43

Feedback to Thunderbird

Post by Claud43 »

Hi, I hope somebody can help me with this. How can people give feedback to Thunderbird?

Thank you,
Claudia
DanRaisch

Re: Feedback to Thunderbird

Post by DanRaisch »

In regard to what?
Claud43

Post by Claud43 »

Regarding Extensions.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Thunderbird (Mozilla) is not the source of extensions. Those are created and maintained by independent developers.
Claud43

Post by Claud43 »

That is too bad to hear. Thunderbird (Mozilla) really need to add two things from some extensions.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Of what two things are you speaking?
Claud43

Post by Claud43 »

select inbox and auto correct
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

It would be much easier to provide support for your issues if you were a bit more verbose. What about "select inbox" and what about "auto correct" do you seek to change or supplement? Perhaps an extension is not even needed.
Claud43

Post by Claud43 »

First off, I wish Thunderbird (Mozilla) would take into a count that people rely on extensions when they come out with a new version. When Thunderbird version 60 came out. Both select inbox and auto correct has stop working. With select inbox for an example, when you go to the sent folder and close Thunderbird, and when you reopen Thunderbird it used to go to inbox automatically and now it won’t do it. With auto correct for an example, when you are typing it would capitalize things for you automatically and now it won’t do it. I know this won’t happen, but I wish Thunderbird (Mozilla) would build in both select inbox and auto correct in the next version. It would be really nice to have.
frg

Post by frg »

Thunderbird is not developed by mozilla. mozilla trashed the classic add-on system starting with Firefox 57 and both Thunderbird and SeaMonkey use the Mozilla code as a base. The replacement Web Extensions system was never been designed to work with an email client in mind. The Thunderbird devs had no chance here other than to fix the worst fallout. If this wouldn't have been done almost no existing add-ons would still work (which will probably be the case in the next version). I think web extension apis for mail are now in development.

If you want new functionality in Thunderbird you need to file a bug in bugzilla https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/ . If you want an extension fixed to work with 60 you need to contact the author.
Claud43

Post by Claud43 »

Thank you and I will do what you said.
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

Claud43 wrote:First off, I wish Thunderbird (Mozilla) would take into a count that people rely on extensions when they come out with a new version. When Thunderbird version 60 came out.
In fact we do...

Last spring 60 was in beta for many weeks when add-on authors could update in time for release.
We reached out to add-on authors in the months before 60 became available.
We reached out to add-on users.
We delayed automatic updating the majority of users to 60 for weeks and weeks (now it's two months), so that add-ons could catch up.
And we're still trying to help add-on authors now.
But we cannot wait infinitely, users need to be updated so that they get security and other fixes.

It's not a great situation for anyone. But the simple fact is most addons are just simply abandoned by their authors - for many reasons too many to list.We didn't create that situation - and users can choose to accept it "that's life with addons", or not.