Manually Sort Folders add-on won't run correctly on TBird 60

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
bex1210

Manually Sort Folders add-on won't run correctly on TBird 60

Post by bex1210 »

My OS is Windows 7 Pro (64 bit) SP1. I recently installed Thunderbird 60.0 on my desktop computer because I wanted to be able to use the IMAP protocol for inbound Email, which my current Agent will not do. I have 7 Email addresses, and about 40 folders of historical information that I wanted to copy from Agent to Thunderbird. But Thunderbird does not allow one to change the order of Email accounts, nor the order of the folders within the accounts or within Local Folders. Many threads on this forum recommended the Manually Sort Folders add-on, so I installed Version 1.1.1, the latest. But those threads are all many years old, and none mentioned that Manually Sort Folders does not work with 60.0.

I found some more recent information on GitHub, and lots of users complained about this problem. It seems the author of Manually Sort Folders has disappeared. His add-on site indicates that it will run on 60-63. This notational change is apparently required due to a change made in Thunderbird that affects pre-57 add-ons. But obviously more is required than just this note change for Manually Sort Folders. One thread suggested falling back to Thunderbird 56, which apparently is the last version the add-on would function on.

So on my Windows 7 Pro (64 bit) SP1 laptop, I installed Thunderbird 56, and copied my Thunderbird profile from 60 on my desktop to 56 on my laptop. I installed Manually Sort Folders 1.1.1 on my laptop. Everything worked as it should, and I was able to change both the order of Email accounts, and the order of folders within the accounts and within Local Folder. Then I copied that profile back to my desktop. (I use the Thunderbird Profile Manager to keep the various profiles separate.)

The order of Email accounts WAS changed to what I wanted, but the order of folders was not. No matter what I tried, I could not get the folder order within the Email accounts to change. But for Local Folders, I found that if in Thunderbird 56, I created a new folder (call it Summary) within Local Folders, and then moved some of my other local folders to make them subfolders to Summary, then when I copied that profile back to 60 on my desktop, the subfolder order correctly remained the same as what I had established in 56.

So then in 56 I created another new folder (call it Master) within Local Folders, and made ALL of my other folders (including Summary) as subfolders to Master. But this time when I copied that profile back to 60 on my desktop, none of the subfolder order changed to what I had established in 56! But what was really strange was that the order of subfolders I had in Summary remained the same as I had established in 56!

It makes no difference whether Manually Sort Folders is enabled or disabled in Thunderbird 60. I am not a programmers, so all this was cut and try. Does someone else have experience in getting Manually Sort Folders to work in Thunderbird 60, and if so, how did you do it?

Harry
morat

Re: Manually Sort Folders add-on won't run correctly on TBir

Post by morat »

There isn't an easy fix for the Manually Sort Folders extension because the removal of RDF templates in XUL. (Bug 1425356)

Manually Sort Folders
http://addons.thunderbird.net/thunderbird/addon/15102
http://github.com/protz/Manually-Sort-F ... -413475220
boersenfeger

Post by boersenfeger »

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:65.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/65.0.1
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:67.0) Gecko/20190219 Firefox/67a1
Visit the German Firefox-Forum wwx. camp-firefox.de/forum
bex1210

Post by bex1210 »

boersenfeger wrote:Try this working BETA-Version
https://github.com/Ximi1970/Manually-So ... s/releases
I installed it, and it works perfectly. Thanks.

Harry