Composition language spontaneously changes (Linux)

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Gort

Re: Composition language spontaneously changes (Linux)

Post by Gort »

I have to admit that I'm stumped. We both use Ubuntu 18.04, both using Thunderbird supplied by Ubuntu, and both reset our profiles to test this, yet have differing results. I'm sorry that I couldn't help more. If I think of something, I'll get back. Hopefully someone else can chip in.

Good luck.
rphair

Post by rphair »

thanks @Gort, I appreciate your generous help & as soon as I get a solid answer I'll return to post it here. /r
Gort

Post by Gort »

Code: Select all

browser.search.countryCode = "US"
browser.search.region = "US"
One thing before I head off to the Land of Nod, I looked at those values, and I have them both set as "GB". They do appear as if modified (in bold, etc). Maybe you should recreate those settings again and try with "GB" as the value. Probably won't do anything, but what the heck.

Anyway, I'll leave you in peace now. ;)
rphair

Post by rphair »

I tried setting these to "GB" and even created the "GB" equivalents of the country tagged properties... no effect. I feel the difference in our configurations leading to the different search behaviour is outside of Thunderbird itself. Something about my system is hard-Binged. If and when I sleep tonight I will be in a maze of twisty little Tbird settings, all alike...
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

rphair wrote:thanks @Gort, I appreciate your generous help & as soon as I get a solid answer I'll return to post it here. /r
The official modified package from Ubuntu does have Google as a search engine. I just checked my 60.2.1.

The package from Ubuntuzilla is just a copy of the standard unmodified Thunderbird, which does not have Google as a search engine. Bing is the default.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
rphair

Post by rphair »

WaltS48 wrote:The official modified package from Ubuntu does have Google as a search engine. I just checked my 60.2.1.

The package from Ubuntuzilla is just a copy of the standard unmodified Thunderbird, which does not have Google as a search engine. Bing is the default.
yes, and just to recapitulate for any first time viewers, my own installation of the official modified package of 60.2.1 from the Ubuntu repo does not have Google selectable as a search engine at all and can't be made to use it no matter what the about:config settings.
Gort

Post by Gort »

I wonder if the issue is the absence of a locale package, like thunderbird-locale-en. In its description, it mentions search plugins. Maybe rphair doesn't have that installed (it's optional).
rphair

Post by rphair »

Holy Guacamole @Gort - you have done it. What a surprise it was to see Google there on the list, as the default even, after a fresh install of Thunderbird from the Ubuntu repos with thunderbird-locale-en added this time & no other changes.

I did have to switch back again (one more time) to the modified Ubuntu package, since it's a dependency of the locale package. N.B. I haven't installed thunderbird-gnome-support, which is a suggested package but one I'd rather live without... so I'm surprised thunderbird-locale-en isn't also listed as a suggested package.

My guess is that this package also closes the loop with the OP and will stop the English based composition language from spontaneously changing. If that turns out not to be the case I will post once more to that effect. thanks to all /r
Gort

Post by Gort »

Great that your search issue finally got fixed. :) Also nice that off-topic could well be on-topic. ;)
rphair

Post by rphair »

the not-so-triumphant ending: again, after a week or so, even with the extra English language support package the language still flops back to US English after about a week. The user.js trick works like a charm of course, thanks again to @Gort.
rphair

Post by rphair »

another setting that has spontaneously flopped (2nd time since switching from ESR to Aurora in July): the "Restore Previous Session" variable. It has apparently set itself, after a long time of being unset from the UI.

I still have no unusual extensions that would be modifying this parameter (just gContactSync, ImportExportTools, Lightning, Provider for Google Calendar). If anyone knows the config setting for this UI checkbox please post here (I can't find it from keyword search in about:config).