Auto Filters No Longer Working

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
gaspower

Auto Filters No Longer Working

Post by gaspower »

Hello,

Version 60.2.1
I just updated to the latest version of TB, and now my filters are no longer working. They will work if I manually run them, but no longer automatically. I have rebooted the system, and still no luck. Is this a bug in the latest release?

Thanks JR
tanstaafl

Re: Auto Filters No Longer Working

Post by tanstaafl »

Works for me. I suspect its a configuration specific bug since I haven't noticed similar posts on this forum or the official support forum. Message filters are notorious for not automatically running on certain individuals systems for no apparent reason. Try running in safe mode (help -> restart with add-ons disabled) to see if a broken add-on could be causing that problem. Enable the optional junk filter log and see if that provides any useful information.

Sometimes the problem is that specific filters breaks, while the message filtering system still works. I suggest you add a simple message filter that sets a star if the subject contains xyzzy and then send a message to that account that meets that criteria, to help test what works.
Ed1

Post by Ed1 »

tanstaafl, I've posted separately about the recent change I've experienced where TB's Junk filter has stopped running automatically on my AOL IMAP account. On seeing this thread, I created a new message filter to move mail that I get constantly from a couple of merchants to my Junk folder.

Just like with the TB Junk filter, this newly created filter runs fine on my Inbox if I invoke it manually. But it does not run automatically at all, whether I am starting TB or switching to the Inbox from another folder.

So, while I thought the problem might have something to do with changes in AOL's servers, now I am not so sure as even my own filter is not running automatically. This is on a clean install of TB 52.9.1 with no addons.

What could be the cause of this problem?
gaspower

Post by gaspower »

Hello,
Also as ED1 has stated, I am running 60.2.1 with no addons. I also tried loading TB in safe mode, still the same issue. This issue only occurred after install of 60.2.1. Worked perfect prior.

Thanks Jr
Ed1

Post by Ed1 »

With different people experiencing the same thing, it appears that this could be a bug in recent editions of TB. I'm going to re-install an older version.
Ed1

Post by Ed1 »

OK, I've tried with both TB 52.8.0 and TB 52.7.0. I've even copied a training.dat file from a year ago into my profile. (Did not copy traits.com.) Still no automatic filters running. I definitely had the Junk filter running automatically when I was running those versions of TB earlier this year.

So, not sure what is going on. Very frustrating. Hopefully, someone can figure this out.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Both the message filters and junk filters can silently fail if either the source or destination folder are corrupt. However, I haven't heard of that being the cause for only the automated running doing nothing.

SeaMonkey is a different product but normally uses the same core mail/news code as Thunderbird. I found a bug report about "Message Filter not applied correctly but works if applied manually afterwards" - https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=675418 which sounds roughly like what you are running into. It's been sitting unconfirmed for 7 years. It's the closest match I could find.

I suggest you submit a new bug report at https://bugzilla.mozilla.org . If you do that please post a link to it.
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

Actually there seem to be longstanding issues where, for some few users, manual filters work but automatic does not
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Could you point me to the main bug report for that?
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

There are a couple listed in https://mzl.la/2QMHCJS
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Thanks. I updated the KB article.