Email won't connect on WiFi. Wired is fine.

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
FrankSMS

Email won't connect on WiFi. Wired is fine.

Post by FrankSMS »

I find this baffling. All my programs work great on public wifi hotspots except for Thunderbird and Opera Mail. They won't download anything. I don't even know what to check. Probably some security setting somewhere. i disabled the Windows 7 Firewall and even that didn't make a difference.

Suggestions?
Last edited by FrankSMS on October 14th, 2018, 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
tanstaafl

Re: Email won't connect on WiFi. Wired is fine.

Post by tanstaafl »

You might need to update the driver for your WiFi chipset. I'd also update the router firmware if that's feasible. Some routers make it easy, others you worry about bricking it if something goes wrong.

If your ISP supports both IPv4 and IPv6 you might need to disable IPv6 support because it might try to resolve the address for IPv6 first for the mail server. I'd also look at your DNS server settings. See if using a public DNS server instead of your ISP's DNS server makes a difference. Personally I configure my primary DNS server for my ISP's DNS server and the secondary DNS server to use Googles DNS server. That is useful because frequently the ISPs DNS server is too busy to respond in time, so it fails over to Googles.

https://www.howtogeek.com/164981/how-to ... -browsing/
FrankSMS

Post by FrankSMS »

Driver? The web works, remember?
FrankSMS

Post by FrankSMS »

Its on public wifi.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Different applications use the network differently. Just because you have no problems with a browser doesn't guarantee that the email clients in Thunderbird and Opera mail will work. Normally if one works all work, but I've seen several threads where this type of problem occurs.

Does this problem only occur with public WiFi?
If you don't have Ethernet at home try plugging your laptop into a Ethernet port at a public library and see if you have the same problem.
What is the exact error message?
If you delete the saved password and restart do you get prompted for the password? The reason I ask is that implies you managed to make a tcp-ip connection to the mail server and get several short responses.
kevin.richards

Post by kevin.richards »

FrankSMS wrote:All my programs work great on public wifi hotspots except for Thunderbird and Opera Mail. They won't download anything.

Suggestions?
Might be possible that they have put a limit to open, run, or download from such programs? It happened to me once over a public WiFi and I couldn't download stuff but when I connected my PureVPN client the paused download started immediately. No idea what happened may be IP change? :-k Did you try downloading from the web access or the app?