Thunderbird and Gmail

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
john9210

Thunderbird and Gmail

Post by john9210 »

I don't really understand how Thunderbird works with Gmail. In TB I organize all my messages in folders. It seems Gmail recreates these as labels. Is that correct. Also, are the messages in TB stored on my computer? Or do they just exist on the server. Finally, when ever I open the Gmail site, all my messages are in "All mail". I never archived any of my messages. How did they get into "All mail".
smsmith

Re: Thunderbird and Gmail

Post by smsmith »

Yes, Gmail uses labels as folders.

In Gmail, all your mail is also in the All Mail folder/label.

It sounds as if you have your Gmail setup as IMAP, so you have a copy in Thunderbird, with the original still in Gmail. If you move it in Thunderbird, it will move in Gmail. If you move it in Gmail, it will move it in Thunderbird.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Using_Gmail_w ... illa_Suite
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
john9210

Post by john9210 »

Yes, I'm using IMAP. So, my messages reside on the server, not in TB. I suppose there is no need to use Mosbackup any more since it won't be able to restore messages to TB.
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

It's always a good idea to make a backup of your profile, but to preserve your mail, IMAP certainly makes it a lot easier since all your mail is still on the server.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
mgagnonlv

Post by mgagnonlv »

john9210 wrote:Yes, I'm using IMAP. So, my messages reside on the server, not in TB. I suppose there is no need to use Mosbackup any more since it won't be able to restore messages to TB.
Yes, the messages reside on the server.

Apart from that, if you check the Account parameters, under "Synch and disk space", you can check the following:
– decide which folders are saved locally
– whether you want to synch (i.e. save locally) all messages or only the most recent ones.

If you synch all messages and don't impose limits on the size of messages saved, then you will have a copy of all your messages locally on Thunderbird (and they still will be also on Gmail).
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada)