migrating from Windows 7 to Windows 10

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
DN123ABC

migrating from Windows 7 to Windows 10

Post by DN123ABC »

What is the best way to migrate Thunderbird? Does "MozBackup" still work? (*It has up until now, but seemed a little weird this time around. Not sure if it was Windows or Thunderbird that caused the issues.)

Otherwise, where are the profiles, and what data does one need to get?

Thanks.
DanRaisch

Re: migrating from Windows 7 to Windows 10

Post by DanRaisch »

Moving to Thunderbird Support.

MozBackup has been working for some folks but you would want to use the latest beta version 1.5.2 rather than the "production" version.

But it's not really necessary to use MozBackup as it's simple enough to copy files and transfer them from one PC to another. as described in the "Quick and Dirty without using Mozbackup" of this article -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Move_to_a_new ... _Mozbackup
DN123ABC

Post by DN123ABC »

Well, I got a "paths too long" (not sure of exact wording) error when trying to copy my profile directories. The nice thing about "MozBackup" is that it puts everything into one file, which is easy to copy and move around, even if it is 5-10Gb in size. Copying all those little files takes forever, only to crap out at the end, and have to hit "repeat this action for next 10 gabillion files".
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Do it however you choose but I've never seen a problem transferring a profile by copying the entire profile and pasting it into a stub install of Thunderbird on the new system.