Thunderbird stopped saving email acct. password

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
ra-thunderbird

Thunderbird stopped saving email acct. password

Post by ra-thunderbird »

Thunderbird stopped saving email acct. password for several gmail accts.
This started after a recent update after which I had to manually update Lightening to get it back going again.

With the email, I keep giving it the passwords, it works for a few tries, then requests pw's again. I went into passwords manager, removed the problem email accts. to see if that would work, used "get messages" again, gave the pw's again thinking it would create a new entry in the password manager, but it didn't, it's empty for these accts.

A real time waster. Any ideas?

Thanks
tanstaafl

Re: Thunderbird stopped saving email acct. password

Post by tanstaafl »

Is your gmail account configured to use "normal password" or "Oauth2" as the authentication method?
Are you using a remote calendar? I'm wondering if you are able to check for new mail okay but something like the Provider for Google Calendar add-on is hiccuping.
If you have any non-gmail accounts are they working okay?
ra-thunderbird

Post by ra-thunderbird »

tanstaafl wrote:Is your gmail account configured to use "normal password" or "Oauth2" as the authentication method?
Are you using a remote calendar? I'm wondering if you are able to check for new mail okay but something like the Provider for Google Calendar add-on is hiccuping.
If you have any non-gmail accounts are they working okay?
Mine are all use "normal password"
All non-Gmail accts. work ok.
2 gmail accts. work ok.
3 gmail accts. stopped working ok and ask for pw's.

My Calendar is on the same machine, not remote.

For those 3 gmail accts. that keep asking pw's, I removed them in pw manager, but TB is not saving them when I do the 'get new messages' and give it the pw.
Could this be something gmail is doing?
Bizarre.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

ra-thunderbird wrote:Could this be something gmail is doing? Bizarre.
Yes. But I don't understand whats going on :)

My first thought was that Google disabled "Allow to let less secure apps access your Google account" behind your back (it's been known to do that) but you said it works for a few tries. A hard connection failure can cause Thunderbird to always fail logging in until you've deleted the saved passwords , exited and restarted (since the deleted passwords are still in memory) but you said it works for a few tries.

I suggest you change the authentication method to "OAuth2" as that is what they're trying to encourage people to use. That just requires cookies to be enabled for google.com. Cookies are normally enabled by default (Tools -> Privacy -> Accept cookies from web site is checked, and "Keep until" is set to "until they expire").

If that doesn't help see if the problem still occurs if you use safe mode (help -> restart with add-ons disabled). You can also launch Thunderbird in safe mode by holding down the shift key while double clicking on the shortcut.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Using_Gmail_w ... illa_Suite
ra-thunderbird

Post by ra-thunderbird »

>My first thought was that Google disabled "Allow to let less secure apps access your Google account" behind your back (it's been known to do that) but you said it works for a few tries.<

Apparently, this time consuming problem did originate from something Gmail has been doing. I directly web accessed my Gmail accounts, some of them that weren't having TB problems wanted to do the access code thing, I did all that and the problems have gone away, at least for now.
What idiots.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Glad you figured out what caused it.