Problem printing PDF attachments

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
theWoosh

Problem printing PDF attachments

Post by theWoosh »

Hi For many years I have happily previewed PDF attachments in Thunderbird and printed them if necessary...
Now all of a sudden nothing happens when I go to print one (and the Print Preview menu option is not highlighted).
In the error console I get the message:

Code: Select all

An error occurred executing the cmd_print command: TypeError: mm is null  globalOverlay.js:103
	goDoCommand chrome://global/content/globalOverlay.js:103:5
	oncommand chrome://messenger/content/messenger.xul:1:1
I am using Thunderbird 52.9.1 on Windows 10 Pro 64 bit v1803

Looks like a bug with this release?
Thanks
DanRaisch

Re: Problem printing PDF attachments

Post by DanRaisch »

Moving to Thunderbird Support as no bug has yet been identified here.

What are you using as the PDF viewing/printing utility on that computer?
Are you selecting "Microsoft Print to PDF" as the "printer"?
theWoosh

Post by theWoosh »

Thanks

I am viewing the PDF attachment within Thunderbird but am unable to print.

As a secondary problem - If I do try to launch the PDF 'in browser' by right clicking and set the default app to Acrobat Reader this fails to open so can't print it that way either as Acrobat Reader fails to open the file with the message '...Error opening this document. The filename, directory name or volume label syntax is incorrect' - so no result like that either.
I have to save the document to local disk and then open it from windows to be able to then print...
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You refer to these as attachments but are they listed at the bottom of the message window as attachments? If so, if you right click on the file name and select "Open with" what program is offered to display the PDF?
theWoosh

Post by theWoosh »

Hi Dan
If a pdf file is listed at the bottom of the mail body as an attachment, I can click open and it will open in Adobe PDF Reader. I can then do whatever I like. If however I click 'Preview' and open the doc within Thunderbird, I am then unable to print it (the print menu option is there but doesn't do anything and the Print Preview option is greyed out)...
PS no 'Open With' option
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Where are you finding the option "Preview"? Is that a menu entry?
theWoosh

Post by theWoosh »

At the bottom of the email body the attachments are displayed with three options along side each - preview, open & save. I always click preview which opens another thunderbird tab and if I need a permanent copy for my filing system (they are invoices or receipts) I hit print (from the thunderbird file menu)...
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Odd. I don't see any "Preview" option for attachments. Are you using any extension that might add that? Does the same option appear if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
dorcom

Post by dorcom »

Suddenly same problem here with Thunderbird version 52.9.1 running Windows 10 64-bit 2004

Print preview stop working a few months ago. ](*,)
Cannot print preview either a received email or a reply email.
Printing works to printer or PDF file but not preview.
Dialogue screen briefly flickers then nothing.
Also notice that on the page setup margins & headers/footers all fields or blank or empty.
Setting them does not retain the settings.
Pretty boring every day another problem!
Glad it's not a car....
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode

1) If you are actually running versino 52.9.1 of Thunderbird, you're a bit behind the curve. The current recommended version is 68.11.0. https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/thunderbird ... s/68.11.0/

2) You've replied to a thread that died out two years ago. If you still have the problem in Safe Mode, create a new topic and provide details of the issue, including that you have tested in Safe Mode. I'm locking this thread due to the age of the original posts and the the obsolete Thunderbird version.