Let Thunderbird leave messages on server

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
macamba

Let Thunderbird leave messages on server

Post by macamba »

Recently I had to reinstall Thunderbird settings on my Linux box. I had it configured so I could peak at messages on my mail server, and download the messages later to my main account on Outlook. However, I did something wrong. My Linux system downloads the mail and removes it from the server. Now Outlook doesn't see any mail. What can I do to get the configuration back that Thunderbird downloads the messages, but lets the messages stay on the server?

It is something that I should know. However, staring at the configuration of my Thunderbird does not enlighten me.
tanstaafl

Re: Let Thunderbird leave messages on server

Post by tanstaafl »

I assume you're using a POP account. In tools -> account settings -> account_name -> server settings find "leave messages on server" and check it. That will leave the original message on the server for Outlook to find, while letting Thunderbird download a copy. I suggest you also check "for at most X days" and set X to something like 30 days.

You might need to exit and restart Thunderbird for the new settings to take effect. Long term I suggest you consider using a IMAP account. That will let you share all of the folders. http://kb.mozillazine.org/IMAP
macamba

Re: Let Thunderbird leave messages on server

Post by macamba »

Thanks for your answer. I knew there was a mail kind (IMAP) I should use that lets mail on the server. You gave it to me.