Different IP Freaks Out TB

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
ep2012
Location: If you aren't fighting in this war, YOU are part of the problem!

Different IP Freaks Out TB

Post by ep2012 »

Hi,

So I've been having this problem for years & it's really starting to get on my nerves. Now I know it only happens with gmail, but there must be a way to stop this as I have almost 10+ gmail accounts.

1. I have 2 different ISPs just in case one stops working & with one of them, it sometimes triggers TB & gmail that I'm a different person & gmail starts to lock me out. This requires me copy & paste the p/w to each of these accounts PLUS log into gmail thru webmail so it will tell TB that it's really me trying to get access to my mail.

To be clear, it can't JUST be gmail, b/c why is TB stripping the p/w & forcing me to enter in the p/w again & yes the "save p/w" is checked off.

2. Here's what really upset me... I sometimes have to use a VPN to do some work & so I thought shutting down TB before I turn it on & then ONLY restarting TB once the VPN is turned off would STOP it from triggering gmail's account, but it's not. I'm STILL having to re-enter all the new p/ws into TB.

Any ideas? This is wasting tons of my time each time this happens.

Thanks
Ignoring the Truth about what is going on will NOT make it go away, it will only help those who are destroying US!
tanstaafl

Re: Different IP Freaks Out TB

Post by tanstaafl »

I've run into the same problem with Gmail and Outlook when using a VPN. They are too security conscious, mapping the tcp-ip address to its real-world geographic location. AFAIK there is no way to tell those two email providers you don't want that feature when using a email client. This is not limited to Thunderbird.

I had used PureVPN because it claimed to support split tunneling - "You can choose which data to send through VPN and which to send through your ISP.". That feature never worked despite numerous support calls. The best workaround seems to be not to configure VPN software for Windows, use a VPN extension for the browser instead. That way only the browser uses the VPN. Many VPN providers offer that option for Chrome and Firefox.
ep2012

Post by ep2012 »

tanstaafl wrote:I've run into the same problem with Gmail and Outlook when using a VPN. They are too security conscious, mapping the tcp-ip address to its real-world geographic location. AFAIK there is no way to tell those two email providers you don't want that feature when using a email client. This is not limited to Thunderbird.

I had used PureVPN because it claimed to support split tunneling - "You can choose which data to send through VPN and which to send through your ISP.". That feature never worked despite numerous support calls. The best workaround seems to be not to configure VPN software for Windows, use a VPN extension for the browser instead. That way only the browser uses the VPN. Many VPN providers offer that option for Chrome and Firefox.
I'll ask mine if they have a browser version, but I don't think they do.

Pure VPN keeps logs, mine doesn't :)

But I still don't understand WHY if I closed TB down before I started it & disconnected before I restarted TB that TB caught it. :(

Thanks
Ignoring the Truth about what is going on will NOT make it go away, it will only help those who are destroying US!
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

"Pure VPN keeps logs, mine doesn't"

Its tough to know for sure since you can't rely upon their privacy policy and many reviews are suspect. Even https://thatoneprivacysite.net/vpn-comparison-chart/ claims PureVPN doesn't keep traffic or ip logs despite all of the publicity about the supposedly non-existent log files being provided to the FBI in 2017. Reliable DNS leak protection is also tough, its too easy for built-in leak protection to break when software is updated. Just think of all of the regression bugs in Thunderbird :)

"But I still don't understand WHY if I closed TB down before I started it & disconnected before I restarted TB that TB caught it."

Thunderbird didn't catch it. Your email providers did. There is a big difference. I suspect the prior tcp-ip connections didn't time out yet so when you restarted Thunderbird they were reused. The workaround would be to restart the PC before running Thunderbird again.
ep2012

Post by ep2012 »

tanstaafl wrote:"Pure VPN keeps logs, mine doesn't"

Its tough to know for sure since you can't rely upon their privacy policy and many reviews are suspect. Even https://thatoneprivacysite.net/vpn-comparison-chart/ claims PureVPN doesn't keep traffic or ip logs despite all of the publicity about the supposedly non-existent log files being provided to the FBI in 2017. Reliable DNS leak protection is also tough, its too easy for built-in leak protection to break when software is updated. Just think of all of the regression bugs in Thunderbird :)

"But I still don't understand WHY if I closed TB down before I started it & disconnected before I restarted TB that TB caught it."

Thunderbird didn't catch it. Your email providers did. There is a big difference. I suspect the prior tcp-ip connections didn't time out yet so when you restarted Thunderbird they were reused. The workaround would be to restart the PC before running Thunderbird again.
Fair enough, but I know my company is ANAL about privacy, so I'm pretty sure that they make sure that with every update logs aren't kept :)

Oh, that will be difficult for me to restart every time. I have tons of stuff open when I'm working.

Thanks & have a good one :)