GUI graphics degenerated since "upgrade" to 60.2.1 (Linux)

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Swarup

GUI graphics degenerated since "upgrade" to 60.2.1 (Linux)

Post by Swarup »

I use TB on Ubuntu. A couple weeks back it seems TB upgraded to 60.2.1, and since then my GUI graphics have been quite poor. For example, the TB icon on the left side of my screen is hardly recognizable; it is just a mush of blue. When I go to compose an email, after addressing the email to say 5 or 6 people, it used to be that be moving the cursor over those addressees, a window would appear showing all the persons to whom the email is addressed. That feature is now gone. The set up of the To/cc/bcc is now very crude and unwelcoming. The attachment button and all the other such buttons are very crudely placed on the screen. In this way, the carefully engineering and subtlety of presentation is gone. What can I do to get back the old graphics, which were so much better?
Last edited by DanRaisch on November 17th, 2018, 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: (Linux) added to subject line.
tanstaafl

Re: GUI graphics degenerated since "upgrade" to 60.2.1 (Linu

Post by tanstaafl »

Try using the default theme if you were using a different theme. If that doesn't help, see if its due to some other add-on by using help -> restart with add-ons disabled.
Swarup

Post by Swarup »

1. I am already using the default theme.
2, I only have one add-on installed:

Messaging Menu and Unity Launcher integration 1.4
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Toolbar_or_wi ... ot_working

"try deleting xulstore.json, directoryTree.json , foldertree.json (used by folder pane) , mailviews.dat (message views) , search.json, session.json (snapshot of the windows layout), and XUL.mfl (cached user data) instead. Linux uses xul.mfasl instead of xul.mfl, while OS X uses "XUL FastLoad File". You will lose any customizations stored in those files but Thunderbird will recreate those files as needed using default values when you restart it. Some of those files (such as search.json and XUL.mfl) do not exist in the current version of Thunderbird. However, the update doesn't delete unused files, and it's tough keeping track of when files are no longer used. Don't worry if you don't have all of those files."
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

Swarup wrote:1. I am already using the default theme.
2, I only have one add-on installed:

Messaging Menu and Unity Launcher integration 1.4
What version of Ubuntu? Graphics?

I don't see the graphics problems you describe with the distros version of Thunderbird 60.2.1 on Ubuntu 18.04, with a GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2 graphics card and the nvidia-390 driver.

Can't comment on addressing as I normally don't send emails to multiple addresses.

As for the buttons placement you can always right-click in a toolbar, use Customize and move them.

Here are the release notes for Thunderbird 60 to 60.3.1 for you to review.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5