Unable to 'move to' between email accounts (Linux)

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
ThunderbirdUser1

Unable to 'move to' between email accounts (Linux)

Post by ThunderbirdUser1 »

hello,

I am moving emails from one email account "accountA@gmail.com" to another "accountB@gmail.com". Both accounts have been setup for my Thunderbird profile.

When I select an email in "accountA@gmail.com" and perform the following operation:

"Move To > accountB@gmail.com > Foldername"

the email appears in the desired location and disappears in the original location (desired).

after some time the re-appears in the original location without user intervention. An exact copy exist in both locations.

I am repeatedly moving emails but am ending up with copies only. Note that the copy in the original location does not exist in "Inbox" but rather in [Gmail]/All Mail

Both accounts are using IMAP
Thunderbird version: 60.2.1 (64-bit)
Last edited by DanRaisch on November 23rd, 2018, 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: (Linux) added to subject line.
tanstaafl

Re: Unable to 'move to' between email accounts (Linux)

Post by tanstaafl »

Moved from Thunderbird Bugs to Thunderbird Support. Thunderbird Bugs is sort of a backwater, and is really meant just for discussing what to do about known bugs (that have been documented via Bugzilla).

What is "When I delete a message" in the server settings, set to?
Have you changed anything in the gmail webmail settings other than enabling IMAP?
ThunderbirdUser1

Post by ThunderbirdUser1 »

hello @tanstaafi,

thank you for your reply.

In accountB@gmail.com, "When I delete a message" auto delete was disabled (not standard setting).

I enabled it but the problem is still there.

all webmail settings are default except IMAP for accountA@gmail.com

accountB@gmail.com additionally has POP enabled.

moving messages generally works but in between multiple accounts.

other things I tried:
In thunderbird/Account Settings > Copies & Folders : uncheck "Keep message archives in:" for both accounts.

everytime I restart thunderbird, the moved messages re-appear in "All Mail" in the origin email account.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Are you sure there weren't copies of the message in other folders, such as the sent mail folder, before moving it to the other account? All Mail is supposed to have a copy of the message as long as it exists in any folder in that account.

I don't understand what you mean by auto-delete was disabled. I expected something like it was set to either "move it to trash", "just mark is as deleted" or "remove it immediately".

Have you compacted the folders? A deleted but hidden from view message still exists, and would cause the message to remain in All Mail.