MozillaZine

Single Line Spacing

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
swillson

Post Posted November 29th, 2018, 2:31 pm

When I copy and paste formatted text into Thunderbird, the line space is double.

Also, when I compose an email and hit "Enter", Thunderbird double spaces.

I have gone to Tools/Options/Composition and checked and unchecked the "Use Paragraph format" option.

Any thoughts?

DanRaisch

Post Posted November 29th, 2018, 7:38 pm

When I copy and paste formatted text into Thunderbird, the line space is double.

Have you tried using "Paste without formatting" (rather than simply paste) and adding formatting in TB?
From what source are you copying the text?

swillson

Post Posted December 10th, 2018, 10:59 am

I want to include the formatting. I'm copying from Word. The weird thing is, sometimes it pastes just fine, and other times I get double spacing and no way to eliminate it.

tanstaafl

Post Posted December 10th, 2018, 11:37 am

http://kb.mozillazine.org/SupportEmptyP ... L_messages

Try saving the file as filtered HTML and then opening that file in a different tab. Word has a lot of proprietary HTML tags that can cause side effects.

makaiguy

Post Posted December 10th, 2018, 1:07 pm

swillson wrote:I want to include the formatting. I'm copying from Word. The weird thing is, sometimes it pastes just fine, and other times I get double spacing and no way to eliminate it.

I get the same thing copy/pasting from LibreOffice on my Windows desktop. I've not found a way to prevent it, but here's what I do to correct it after the fact:

Place cursor at end of first line. Hit Delete key until next line gets added at end of first line. Now hold down Shift and hit Enter. Move on to next line and repeat.

I think it must have something to do with how various operating systems mark the end of text lines.

The original Unix system and its derivatives mark line endings with a "line feed" character (LF).

Windows (and DOS before it) chose to use both an embedded "carriage return" and "line feed" character for a new line (CR LF).

Apple OS X uses a single LF like Unix, but the original Macintosh operating system used a single CR.

So looks to me that TBird's editor, not knowing what sort of system was used to create the text file you're pasting from, honors both CR and LF as being new line characters. If you're pasting from a Windows-based file, you get one new line for the CR and another for the LF.

When you get a copy/paste that DOESN'T double space, I'd guess it's probably because the text you are copying was entered without hitting the Enter key to break it into lines. Long strings of text with no new-line characters would be wrapped into multiple display lines by your word processor, but without any embedded end-of-line characters to screw up the formatting in TBird's editor. To locate any embedded new-line characters, just narrow your window in the word processor and watch where the line breaks occur.
Doug Wilson, "The Makai Guy"
Win10 (64bit): FF 52.9.0 ESR (64bit), TB 60.5.2 (32-bit) ║ Android 8.0/7.1.1: FF Mobile 64.0.2 No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers

Return to Thunderbird Support