Spammer addy has small square icons in it - can't filter

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Caslon

Spammer addy has small square icons in it - can't filter

Post by Caslon »

First of all, I blame Amazon for having admitted to giving out our email addresses. Now I'm getting daily email spams that have a small square icon mixed in with the spammers address lettering. So...I copied that spammers email address (squares and all) and set it in my Email Filter field box. I edited out all but the little square. Done. I set it to filter all such emails with little squares mixed into their address. DOESN'T DO A THING!

I checked the error log and it gives me some confusing technical reason why it's not able to filter them out. Obviously those little squares are not recognized by Thunderbird and thus Thunderbird Email Filter can't filter them out. Does it have something to do with "Dictionaries" I can download and would those squares be among that dictionary download? The little squares are white with a tiny 00 in them with a tiny 05 right below it. The addresses are all different, but have those squares among the address lettering. What's scary about all this is that the spammers can always change the tiny 05 in the square to 06.

What can be done? Anything? Nothing?
DanRaisch

Re: Spammer addy has small square icons in it - can't filter

Post by DanRaisch »

Did you try using "From"+"Contains" in the filter set up rather than "From"+"Is" and leaving just enough of the sending address to be recognizable?
Caslon

Post by Caslon »

Yes I did. No go. Tried just about all the possible options. I unfortunately deleted my error log, it was mumbo jumbo to me. The gist I gathered from it was that the filter wasn't able to proceed.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Is there anything in the subject line that is common to all of the spam messages?
If you press Ctrl+U when viewing one of those messages, does the field "Sender:" show the same square boxes as the "From:" field>?
Caslon

Post by Caslon »

That Ctrl+U actually worked when choosing Create Filter option there. Thanks for that general Ctrl+U tip. However. After I backspaced edited out everything but the square and saved and ran it, it did nothing to the others on the list with the same icon in them. No, there's nothing in common with each email. The email domain names are always different. Even the email domain spelling have a square in them.

I referred earlier to Dictionaries that can be downloaded and fit into Thunderbird for things like languages and stuff. Why not make one for spam icons from spammers? Have them automatically downloaded. I suppose that would require TB to update itself daily to keep up (almost like a virus scanner). I'm not sure that's feasible.

My TB is the latest version. BTW, TB does "think it's junk mail", if that helps, and if I can adjust from there.

Maybe my RoadRunner email people will root it out eventually? It's useless impossible trying to contact them about specific issues like this.