60.3.3 - Exceptionally Slow Whilst Typing

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
tfx77

60.3.3 - Exceptionally Slow Whilst Typing

Post by tfx77 »

Just today I upgraded to 60.3.3 and composing mail is painfully slow.

I have performed the following actions with the results listed below :

Windows safe mode and Thunderbird safe mode - mail seems quick and responsive
Windows normal and Thunderbird safe mode - typing is slow and so are menus
Windows index service disabled - not made any difference
Disable indexing on app data and program folder date (performed before turning of all indexing) - no difference
Disable check spelling as typing - slightly better, odd because dictionaries are currently disabled (all addons disabled)
Disabled all Thunderbird add ons - no difference
Turned off windows defender - no difference
Thunderbird Activity monitor isn't showing too much action
Thunderbird Global search and indexer is unticked (also set to false in config editor).

My inbox is about 4mb but main mailbox has 13gb of mail in folders outside of the Inbox (filed for reference rather than using search).

Thunderbird is using ~ 150mb
System is 16gb mem, SSD, Windows 10, I7 6700HQ

What is odd, is that sending and some other actions seem very quick, typing is the most noticeable issues (I have to compose in a text document and paste in to emails).
Last edited by tfx77 on December 13th, 2018, 7:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
tfx77

Re: 60.3.3 - Exceptionally Slow Whilst Typing

Post by tfx77 »

Ok, I played round with some windows service boot options and uninstalled some programmes and this seems to have fixed it, fingers crossed. Hard to say which action helped but any win is a win at this stage.
tfx77

Re: (Resolved) 60.3.3 - Exceptionally Slow Whilst Typing

Post by tfx77 »

Hum, this isn't fully resolved, the keyboard response is better but not anywhere near what it was before the upgrade.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

If the problem goes away in (Thunderbird's) safe mode then I'd suspect one of your add-ons is the culprit. Try disabling all but one, retesting, enabling another one and repeat as needed until the problem returns. If that doesn't help and you are using a anti-virus scanner that "knows" about email (i.e. it can intercept and open your mail, such as Avast!) try a different one. Its quite common for McAfee and Norton/Symantec to cause problems.

If you think it due to your windows configuration (which services are run etc.) try booting Windows in "safe mode with networking" and see what effect that has. Just be careful not to read any new mail when you do that as it will disable your anti-virus scanner.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Performance_-_Thunderbird
tfx77

Post by tfx77 »

Hey, add-ons have been off for a while now during testing. Virus scanner is windows defender and I have excluded the folders relating to mail. Seems odd that it only happened after updating thunderbird. I might see if another install of thunderbird would help. If I wanted to perform this, what is the best way?

Basically, keep a copy of the current thunderbird mail files whilst reinstalling thunderbird.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Unless you explicitly check the checkbox to remove the data when you uninstall Thunderbird it will leave "as is" the existing profile, which has your settings, address books, downloaded mail, installed add-ons etc. When you re-install it will automatically reuse that profile. If you're worried, backup the profile beforehand. "The simplest solution is to use Help -> Troubleshooting Information -> Open Folder to open your systems file manager at the current profile, and then copy/paste that directory somewhere safe." Otherwise see http://kb.mozillazine.org/Third_party_p ... d_services

See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Go_back_to_an ... hunderbird for how to get a setup program for an older version if you want to see if its a version specific problem. You could do a custom setup of Thunderbird in a different directory, so that it doesn't require you to uninstall your current version.
tfx77

Post by tfx77 »

If I wanted to test a simple roll back, would I just reinstall and then install and the profiles will be available? Or at least, the data?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Yes. From the KB article I pointed you to:

"Whatever version of Thunderbird you re-install, it will automatically find and reuse your profile (it contains your mail, address books, settings, saved passwords, add-ons etc.), which is not deleted when you uninstall or reinstall Thunderbird."
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

FYI - https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1512974 (very slow to read complicated mail)
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

tanstaafl wrote:FYI - https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1512974 (very slow to read complicated mail)
Compose issues tend to be related to activity happening in the background, and that bug is an isolated case highly unlikely related to background activity