Unread Messages Folder

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
orealius

Unread Messages Folder

Post by orealius »

Recently I had a folder in the folder pane called 'Unread This showed all the unread messages for my account. The numbers and messages were in bold. They usually mirrored what was unread in the inbox, but often showed unread messages that weren't showing in the inbox. Very good idea, but I can't figure how to get it back. Any help appreciated.
DanRaisch

Re: Unread Messages Folder

Post by DanRaisch »

Make sure that "Folder pane toolbar" is set to display under the "View" menu on the main Thunderbird window. Then, at the top of the folder pane, select "Unread folders" from the drop down list of options in that toolbar.
orealius

Post by orealius »

Actually, you have to go to the box between view and chat on the menu bar and select from the pull-down menu "save view as a folder" and take it from there.
Took me a while to figure that out!
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Glad you figured it out.

Dan was talking about customizing what columns are used in the folder pane. I also didn't catch that "folder in the folder pane called Unread" was referring to a saved search folder (aka virtual folder) until I read your second post. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Saved_Search

I suspect you added the optional Mail View widget to the main toolbar (that is the name shown in "customizing the toolbar", though it uses View when its in the toolbar) and used it to create a saved search folder using "save view as a folder" from its list box. You can also create a saved search folder via edit -> find -> search messages -> "save as search folder". That is what is typically used. Regardless of which method you use to create one you can right click on that folder in the folder pane, select properties, edit the search parameters, and press the update button to save a modified version of it.