Won't recognize new password

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
LennyBer

Won't recognize new password

Post by LennyBer »

I changed my Gmail password online and I am using the desktop app Thunderbird to read my emails, for four years. Over that time I have changed my password a few times and T-Bird presented me with a place to enter my new password and all went well. Well, NOT this time. T-Bird keeps telling me the password is wrong even though it isn't. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling 2 times but it is always the same, password wrong. I even used the clipboard to enter the password into Gmail, accepted, and into the desktop program, wrong password. I have both uninstalled Thunderbird and have gone into accounts and removed it from there.
Thank you,
Len
tanstaafl

Re: Won't recognize new password

Post by tanstaafl »

You need to delete the saved password using tools -> options -> security -> passwords, exit Thunderbird, restart and when prompted for the password enter it (and check the checkbox to save it). The reason for restarting is that otherwise the deleted password would still be in memory (deleting it only deletes the copy saved in your profile).

Another possibility is that you enabled Two step verification for the Gmail account. In that case you can't use your accounts password, you need to use a application specific password that you created using a browser.

FYI your password is stored in your "profile", a directory containing your settings, address books, add-ons, saved passwords, any downloaded mail etc. Its deliberately stored outside of the application's directory tree so that when you re-install Thunderbird it will automatically find and reuse it.
tanstaafl

Re: Won't recognize new password

Post by tanstaafl »

Did you solve your problem?