New bugs

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
lovemyfoxy

New bugs

Post by lovemyfoxy »

I have TB 52.6 for quite some time, but new bugs have begun recently.
It's not making copies in the "sent" folder,
The filters are dropping mail into the wrong subfolders
Some messages marked as "spam" aren't dropping into the junk folders. Others are fine.
My signature jpg isn't being inserted.

I have 3 accounts, so making a new profile would be complex.

Have the newer TB's dropped XUL extensions and made a mindless UI like Firefox?
Is there a TB 52.9, or do you think the problem is in my profile?
How much of the profile can be saved if I make a new one? I've been honing mine for many years.
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
tanstaafl

Re: New bugs

Post by tanstaafl »

"I have 3 accounts, so making a new profile would be complex."
Three accounts doesn't seem many to me. However, before you consider creating a new profile I suggest you figure out whats changed that might be causing your problems. Usually its due to updates or adding new add-ons. That doesn't seem to apply in your case.

You can safely save your address books, saved passwords and downloaded mail if you need to create a new profile due to it being too difficult to figure out why your problems occur. Trying to keep your existing settings usually defeats the purpose of starting fresh.

The last version of 52.* was 52.9.1. The current version is 60.3.3. However, version 60.* breaks many add-ons so you may want to wait until the situation improves. It still supports legacy add-ons (there is a move to call them classic add-ons instead because "legacy" implies they will eventually not be supported) and that support won't disappear, but it is going to get even harder for at least the next major version to keep them working due to upcoming changes in the Mozilla toolkit, and the poor current documentation on how to write a extension.

52.6.0 was released January 25, 2018. Almost a year ago. I suggest you upgrade to 52.9.1 and see how well it works for you. See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Go_back_to_an ... hunderbird for how to do that.
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

I hadn't changed anything, not even an add-on. I occasionally set up a new filter to sort my mail by sender, but that's it.

I disagree about re-doing all my settings, options and 25 filters, which IS time-consuming. I've taken screenshots of every setting in Accounts and Options in case I have to ditch the profile.

Installed 52.9.1. Filters are working, but the other problems persist. I might do a new profile later, but I'm not hurrying into v. 60.

While I have your attention, i have a weird problem. One of my addresses is
"scrabbler3@---"
The program writes the sender as "scrabbler2@---" and I can't figure out where it came from, as in Account Settings it's correct. I rarely use it, but I can't send out from that address.
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I forgot about message filters but there should be no problem copying the "msgFilterRules.dat" file for each account to a new profile.

For your scrabbler2 problem edit the contact in the address book. You might have scrabbler3 in the email address but scrabbler2 in the display name for example. If that doesn't help press the manage identities button in the accounts settings, select a multiple identity, and press edit. See if you can spot where scrabbler2 is used. Repeat as needed for each multiple identity. If none of that helps, search for scrabbler2 using the config editor at tools -> options -> advanced -> general.
Ed1

Post by Ed1 »

LoveMyFoxy, which email providers do you use?

I have noticed similar things happening with AOL IMAP mail starting in recent months. I believe both AOL and Yahoo mail systems have been taken over by Verizon and certain changes that they've made seem to cause problems with Thunderbird operating correctly. Especially (for me) junk mail filtering being broken.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

The junk mail and message filtering are very prone to configuration specific bugs. Bug reports about this seem to have been filed regularly for over 15 years, with little success. I suspect part of the problem is Thunderbird needs better logging.
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

tanstaafl wrote:I forgot about message filters but there should be no problem copying the "msgFilterRules.dat" file for each account to a new profile.

For your scrabbler2 problem edit the contact in the address book. You might have scrabbler3 in the email address but scrabbler2 in the display name for example. If that doesn't help press the manage identities button in the accounts settings, select a multiple identity, and press edit. See if you can spot where scrabbler2 is used. Repeat as needed for each multiple identity. If none of that helps, search for scrabbler2 using the config editor at tools -> options -> advanced -> general.

Clever! I found it once in about:config.
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

Ed1 wrote:LoveMyFoxy, which email providers do you use?

I have noticed similar things happening with AOL IMAP mail starting in recent months. I believe both AOL and Yahoo mail systems have been taken over by Verizon and certain changes that they've made seem to cause problems with Thunderbird operating correctly. Especially (for me) junk mail filtering being broken.
I'm on verizon.net POP3, but they've closed down their own servers, and they've been using AOL's servers. Vz owns both AOL and Yahoo now, not just their email. AOL is good at filtering out most spam, but they generate a little of their own spam too. Ironic.
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

Thanks to you both.
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

Someone was going to move legacy extensions to another website. Has that happened?
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

error, dupe