Password problem

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
KlondikeGeoff

Password problem

Post by KlondikeGeoff »

Been using FF and TB for years on several computers.

I am trying to set up TB on new laptop with Windows 10. After a lot of fiddling around, got it to opens with the usual email screen with my user name. Then it asks for the password. I put in the one have used for a long time and it won't take it.

It is one of the unusual ones that has no link to "Forgot My Password," so can set up a new one.

I have no trouble on my desktop or another laptop that are running Win XP, but am at a loss as to know how to get a new password for the same user name that gets me to the TB screen.

BTW, FF works perfectly on the new laptop.

Any way to retrieve the password or to be able to set up a new one?

Thanks for any help.
tanstaafl

Re: Password problem

Post by tanstaafl »

Double check that the password is still good by using a browser to log into webmail. That will also let you clear a captcha if one was set. Once done logout.

Once you confirmed that password is still valid, delete the saved password in Thunderbird using tools -> options -> security -> passwords -> saved passwords, exit (this is important as the deleted password is still in memory), restart and when prompted for the password enter it and also check the checkbox to save the password. There is a bug where a hard connection failure can cause the perfectly good saved password or any you enter to be rejected. Doing this procedure works around that.

If your older PC didn't upgrade to a recent version of Thunderbird its possible you have a good logins.json but it was used with key3.db and cert8.db. Those three files need to be treated a set. Version 60.* uses key4.db and cert9.db instead of key3.db and cert8.db. I suspect they changed the format, so you can't just copy and rename the files. This is only an issue if you moved the old profile to the new PC.

If you configured the account with the email provider to use two step verification or two step authentication you typically need to enter a application specific password in the email client, NOT the normal account password.

If the problem was you forgot your password and it doesn't support a forget your password link your best bet would be to run Thunderbird on the older PC and use tools -> options -> security -> passwords -> saved passwords to look at it.
KlondikeGeoff

Post by KlondikeGeoff »

Many many thanks Tanstaall.

I am really glad I did not have to do the first procedure you suggested. Fortunately I read all the way through and first tried what you wrote in the last paragraph

There, with all the other saved links was indeed the password. I use a very long and strong master password. I never though about the regular one being there.

Again, I can't express how grateful I am for your response.

I am still using a crowbar and sledge hammer to try to get Windows 10 into some semblance of normalcy

I managed to get all my FF bookmarks imported, but it was more difficult to get my address book imported, but i finally did it.

Couldn't see how to move the profile, because as far as I can see, Explorer no longer will list the files and folders. Am I missing something there?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Select the View tab in Windows Explorer (File Explorer). Then check "view hidden items" and "view file extensions". In the three column wide pane for view options I suggest you select "details". Hopefully that will let you see everything.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Moving_your_p ... hunderbird describes several ways to move a Thunderbird profile.