Comcast Changes

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
laceymike

Comcast Changes

Post by laceymike »

My email doesn't work with Comcast anymore. I called them and was told I'd have to change some things in my account. No problem. I can do this.

The first thing the knucklehead told me to do was to un-check the "Leave messages on Server" box. He said I'd have to go to my Comcast account and delete unwanted emails.

What I don't understand is that you've told Comcast (he said) it was necessary for my emails to stay on their server!!!???!!!???

What's up with this? Is this on the level?
Thanks,
Mike
makaiguy

Re: Comcast Changes

Post by makaiguy »

If you UNcheck "Leave messages on server" then you WON'T need to delete messages from the server via logging into webmail because they'll automatically be deleted when you download them to Thunderbird.

If you DO choose to leave messages on the server, they will build up and fill your server space, eventually preventing your server from accepting any new messages -- unless you delete old server messages by other means. Back when I was using POP accounts, I always used the additional "Until I delete them" and "For at most [XX] days" options to help keep my server account from filling up.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 115.0.02 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 115.2.0/115.0.1 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
laceymike

Post by laceymike »

Thanks Doug.

I said that wrong. The first thing Comcast told me to do was to "Check" that box. I agree with you re. filling up server space. That's why I'm astonished.

Mike
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

It is highly unusual to find a support agent at an ISP that really knows anything.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 115.0.02 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 115.2.0/115.0.1 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers