auto update changed my 64-bit to 32-bit

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Bubba9

auto update changed my 64-bit to 32-bit

Post by Bubba9 »

The Tbird auto update updated my 64-bit version to 32-bit version.

Do I have a problem?

Is there a way to fix the update?

Thanks
Robert
DanRaisch

Re: auto update changed my 64-bit to 32-bit

Post by DanRaisch »

There is no official 64bit version of Thunderbird for Windows. Did you intentionally download and install the unofficial, untested 64bit version?
James

Post by James »

The Win64 builds of Thunderbird 60.0 are Not officially supported which is why they are not listed on https://www.thunderbird.net/thunderbird/all/

Thunderbird changed it's build process to move it into line with the Firefox process. A side effect is a 64bit build (for Windows) appearing in the release folders by accident.

Unlike for Mac OSX and Linux where 64-bit builds were actually needed to run, the 32-bit works just fine on 64-bit Windows thanks to WOW64. The Win64 Releases of Thunderbird may not be officially supported until sometime in 2019
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I installed the 64 bit version of 60 and kept it long enough for it to go through two auto-updates. It didn't convert it to a 32-bit version. So its not clear why you have this problem. Perhaps it was due to your using 52.*?

If you want to stick with a 64 bit version (IMHO it is not noticeably faster or smaller, so its not worth the risk) I suggest you uninstall your current version and install the latest 64-bit version . Uninstalling doesn't delete your profile, which stores your downloaded mail, address books, settings, add-ons etc.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/64_bit_builds