Authentication Method problem

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
eddiejoe67

Authentication Method problem

Post by eddiejoe67 »

I have internet service through AT&T. I had an e-mail issue that I had to resolve with them. Part of what I had to do was change to OAuth2. Now I'm getting this message when I try to send an e-mail:

Sending of the message failed.
The Outgoing server (SMTP) smtp.att.yahoo.com does not support the selected authentication method. Please change the 'Authentication method' in 'Account Settings | Outgoing Server (SMTP)'.

I've gone to Tools: Outgoing Server and OAuth2 is what's listed.
If I go to Tools: Account Settings: Server Settings, OAuth2 isn't an option in the 'Authentication method" drop-down menu.

I have the latest version of Thunderbird installed. I'm confused.

P.S. I use Windows 10.
tanstaafl

Re: Authentication Method problem

Post by tanstaafl »

OAuth2 support for Yahoo and AOL was added to Thunderbird in version 60.0 according to https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/thund ... easenotes/ . However, its not clear what that means for other companies that provide mail using using Yahoo servers.

I'm using 60.4.0 under Windows 10 and had been configured to use normal password with my Yahoo IMAP account. I reconfigured the SMTP server settings to use OAuth2. When I tried to send the message that generated a popup where I had to log into yahoo and okay Thunderbird using OAuth2. Then it sent the message. I got it okay in another account.

I then went to the accounts server settings and changed "authentication" to OAuth2. That worked as is, I was not prompted to enter the password to create the OAuth2 token.

I suspect you are using a Yahoo POP account, which I don't think supports OAuth2. I'd normally assume that has no effect on whether you can use a SMTP server with OAuth2, but who knows. I'm using a free Yahoo account, not one provided by AT&T. Can you post a link to a updated AT&T web page with email settings for yahoo?