Thunderbird starting up invisible

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
wLindsay

Thunderbird starting up invisible

Post by wLindsay »

Version - 60.4.0 installed
but also started occurring in my prior version which I think was 60.3.2 maybe before it auto updated to 60.4.0

the laptop was running win7 and thunderbird worked fine for a couple months.

The volunteer work I'm doing with it requires better than win7. So a few days ago i upgraded to win10x32 (that's all this laptop can run). That was a clean install.

TBird seemed fine although I only used it a couple times as i'm still installing stuff.

TBird automatically updated itself today. I'm not sure if this problem occurred before the update or not.

when I start Thunderbird, it seems to start but the main window disappears. If I can focus on the invisible window and use the keyboard, I can sometimes get somewhere like contacts. if i can, those windows appear fine.

I've searched for this issue and gotten several hits but those uses didn't seem to get answers. I've uninstalled/reinstalled (that's how I got to the current 60.4.0). I've started TB and windows in safe mode, tried different profiles, deleted a sessions.json file (all suggestions from my searches).

You can alt+tab window switch and see it although even there it doesn't show a whole window.
tanstaafl

Re: Thunderbird starting up invisible

Post by tanstaafl »

See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Toolbar_or_wi ... ot_working . I'd start by deleting Xulstore.json (it stores the toolbar , window layout and size/position settings).

"If deleting xulstore.json doesn't help, try deleting xulstore.json, directoryTree.json , foldertree.json (used by folder pane) , mailviews.dat (message views) , search.json, session.json (snapshot of the windows layout), and XUL.mfl (cached user data) instead. Linux uses xul.mfasl instead of xul.mfl, while OS X uses "XUL FastLoad File". You will lose any customizations stored in those files but Thunderbird will recreate those files as needed using default values when you restart it. Some of those files (such as search.json and XUL.mfl) do not exist in the current version of Thunderbird. However, the update doesn't delete unused files, and it's tough keeping track of when files are no longer used. Don't worry if you don't have all of those files."

See if running it in safe mode ("help -> restart with add-ons disabled" or hold down the Shift key when double clicking on the Thunderbird shortcut) helps. There might be a problem due to a add-on not playing nicely with Thunderbird 60.*. For example somebody else had the AdBlock Plus add-on installed with 60.* and it prevented Thunderbird from exiting.

If none of this helps think about installing 52.9.1. in a separate directory using custom setup. See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Go_back_to_an ... hunderbird if you want to try that as a interim workaround.
wLindsay

Post by wLindsay »

Tried all the file delete stuff without success. Add-ons / safe mode makes no difference (I only have lightening, a key shortcut, and the google calendar).

I figured I'd try a newer beta one. That works the same. Then went back to 52.0 (I need to read more carefully). Figured I'd reboot the machine for a clean boot and 59 worked. Of course in the process Windows decided to do a feature update so I didn't know if that had any effect. So I reinstalled 60.4 with the same results. Then tried 60.0 and it worked until I realized I had installed 6 and not 60<g>. 60.2.1 did not work so I gave up and installed 52.9.1 as suggested (although not in a different directory). Other than removing / reinstalling an older version of lightning, that was fine.

So I guess I'm stuck there until I see a fix. Should I file a bug or do the devs monitor these threads?

thanks for the assist. I'd been about to give up and just access the mail via firefox
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

The developers don't monitor these forums or the official support forums. You could file a bug report at https://bugzilla.mozilla.org but I suggest you wait on that since it is likely to just get marked as "works for me" since its not clear what it is about your configuration that is causing a problem (making it very tough for the person triaging your bug report to reproduce the problem).

60.5.0 is supposed to be released at the end of the month. If everything is working okay with 52.9.1 I suggest you wait until mid-February and then upgrade. If that fails then I'd suggest creating a new profile using the profile manager and import just any downloaded mail and your address books (NOT your settings) to the new profile. Its annoying to re-create the accounts but a clean start frequently works around configuration specific problems.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Importing_folders
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Moving_addres ... n_profiles
wLindsay

Post by wLindsay »

will do.

When 60.5 is out, I can just do an install to a different directory and use an email that I'm not using on this laptop for testing for a completely clean test. Unless you think that isn't a good idea.

thx again for your help
wLindsay

Post by wLindsay »

Got it working. Or perhaps mr gates did. between then and now I know a fair number of windows updates have occurred. So on a lark, I did an image backup and upgraded back the current 60.4. And it just worked. No problem with Thunderbird now. When it didn't work, I'm reasonably sure I was on the current feature update (1809?) but as this was a clean install of win10 there where still updates to be had. Probably took another week or so. But Thunderbird is working so I'm happy. Particularly given that the scanning software I have to use (for the laptop to be used in my volunteer work) was flagging the 59.x.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Great.

I'm still on 1803. My system automatically checked for windows update yesterday. According to https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... te-history they recently started rolling out 1809 again (after the problems that put it on hold) but its available immediately if you manually check for updates. I just did that and its downloading it.
wLindsay

Post by wLindsay »

Not sure when they started rolling it out again but I must have been early. I think this was their third shot at this release.

I have all my pro machines set to download but not install. On this machine I was pretty much letting it rip. It's used to do volunteer tax work (starts this Monday) and they require up to date stuff. I had been on win7 but they phasing that out. Figured it was better to jump; to win10 for free than buy an upgrade to 8.1. The two biggest gripes for me are the menus and auto update. Can't completely disable that in win10 but can mostly. I use classic shell to fix the metro layout. But I'll need to find a replacement there as I think the last update was over a year ago and no more are coming.

At any rate, I'm glad it's working again.