Deleting

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
PennsyNut

Deleting

Post by PennsyNut »

Hi. Not sure if this is "new", but: I set filters to do certain things. Like delete junk. But it don't seem to work. If I get a message in the inbox, and I can see right there from the subject or sender that it's junk. What is the best way? If I simply delete it, it goes to trash. If I Ctrl/delete, it goes away. However, it's still in the "important" folder AND the "all mail" folder. Why? If I open the message and CTRL/delete, the same thing happens. Is there a way to permanently delete in one simple way? How do I set a filter to permanently delete it? I tried and the filter don't work the way I want it to.
Morgan,a PC novice.With Windows 11 64 bit, ESET, Fx & Tb always updated.
DanRaisch

Re: Deleting

Post by DanRaisch »

If I Ctrl/delete, it goes away. However, it's still in the "important" folder AND the "all mail" folder.
That's actually not a Thunderbird issue but something controlled on the Gmail side. Gmail doesn't actually use folders to organize mail but labels and each message can be assigned more than one label. Thus you see messages in the Important "folder" and the same message in the inbox "folder" AND in the All Mail "folder" (which actually contains...all your Gmail messages).

On the Gmail web page, click on the Gear icon and select Settings, then click on "Labels". There you can select which "folders" will be visible in an email client like Thunderbird.
You also click on "Forwarding and POP/IMAP" to view the options for what Gmail will do when a message is deleted or marked for deletion in the email client.
PennsyNut

Post by PennsyNut »

Thanks Dan. I'll give it a try. I just get frustrated by now knowing when it's a Tb issue or gmail. And my personal choice is to control everything in Tb. i.e. I have 3 gmail, 1 yahoo mail, and 1 ATT mail. All go to Tb. And I simple mindlessly thought the Tb filters would do the job. What a nuisance to have to go to each online to filter.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

What a nuisance to have to go to each online to filter.
Well, in this case it's not filtering but setting how Gmail deals with deletions, whether the deletion is triggered by a filter in TB or by the user manually deleting messages in TB.
PennsyNut

Post by PennsyNut »

To be honest, Dan. You have been most helpful. So like I said, I'll try in Google. We will see, probably later when more mail comes in.
PennsyNut

Post by PennsyNut »

I don't know if this is germane to deleting, but: I thought that Tb had a way to see that if you "marked as junk", that after you've marked a particular sender as junk, that Tb would automatically move the message to junk before it got to the inbox. ?? Or maybe when it went to the inbox, that Tb would recognize it as previously having been marked as junk and move it there? There being ? trash? I don't quite understand how Google can accomplish that. If I figure out how to make Google delete a message, it will never get to Tb? Is that what I'm trying to do? I really don't care who or when a message gets deleted or filed in junk. Just that it gets there without my having to delete it 3 times. The inbox, the all mail, and the trash. I guess I'm just ignorant. Can you enlighten me on this? What does Tb do with what I mark as junk?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

To start you're really speaking of Junk/Spam/Bulk mail identification and handling rather than simple deletion, which could involve any message, not just junk.

To understand the process in TB, take a look at this article -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Junk_Mail_Controls You can select the folder to which Thunderbird will move messages it identifies as junk. Understand that simply marking a message as Junk one time in Thunderbird doesn't automatically cause every following message from the same sender to be marked as junk as well. There would be too much risk of a wanted message, a good message, being automatically marked as junk by mistake. TB needs a few examples of junk messages, sometimes from the same sender, to be able to safely identify which is which.

If you are certain that specific messages will always be junk (perhaps they come from ImAnIdentiyThief.com), you can easily set up a message filter ( http://kb.mozillazine.org/Filters_%28Thunderbird%29 ) that will move any messages from that particular sender to the Junk folder or delete them if that is your choice.

The reason you have been deleting three times is because of Gmail, not Thunderbird. Google's philosophy seems to be that "no email should ever actually be deleted." Instead the inbox label is removed from the message on the server but it is present with the "Junk" or "All Mail" label, or both. That's why it's necessary to change settings on Google's settings page for Gmail (using a browser) so things happen as you wish.
PennsyNut

Post by PennsyNut »

Thanks again, Dan. It's starting to get clearer. Still a little foggy, but I'm going to give it a try.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You're welcome.