Display name - "Me"

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
sludge7071-g

Display name - "Me"

Post by sludge7071-g »

I'm using the latest, TB 60.5.0

I have a few e-mail addresses.

I send an e-mail from one that has my real name on it (FN/LN entered) to three that I have, where it has:
1.) my real name
2.) a pseudonym
3.) nothing, no FN/LN, just an e-mail address

When I receive the e-mail, all of them are prefaced by saying that they are from "Me".

. . . how can I test to see how these are received / seen by others?

. . . can you set it, so it just shows how you entered it?
DanRaisch

Re: Display name - "Me"

Post by DanRaisch »

You don't say but I will guess that you received and viewed those messages, sent to yourself, in Thunderbird. View them on the web mail page of the email provider (Hotmail, Gmail, Yahoo, your ISP, etc.) or in a different email client and you'll find that the sender is displayed as the value you entered in Thunderbird under Tools->Account Settings->select (click on the account in the left hand pane of the dialogue)-> the Account Name field. It will be followed by your email address so the recipient can reply to your message.
sludge7071-g

Post by sludge7071-g »

Figured it out:

Tools / Options / Display / Advanced tab

Display
[un-check] Show only display name for people in my address book

When un-checked, then you will see the person's name in received e-mails, and TB works how you think it should

When checked, you will see "Me" in received e-mails, which is confusing - where did this come from?
morat

Post by morat »

DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

When checked, you will see "Me" in received e-mails, which is confusing - where did this come from?
Well, if the TB user is the one sending the message, identifying the sender as "Me" seems reasonable if "Show only name for people in my address book" is selected. No?