Set same master password on copied profile in 2nd computer?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Flycaster

Set same master password on copied profile in 2nd computer?

Post by Flycaster »

I just got a MS Surface Pro and have finished copying my desktop's TB profile (2 accounts, each with passwords, and a master PW used to open the desktop TB) into the Surface Pro. The two computers now behave identically except for just one issue. Both computers have the same PWs for each account, the Surface TB does not have a master PW. Thus, TB opens on the Surface without the need for a PW. I would like to have an opening PW; however, when Security within the Options screen and checking "Use a master PW," the "Chnge master PW" is confusing in that it is asking to enter a new PW and I want to use the same on that I use for the Desktop's TB???
Windows 11, FF Latest, Edge v94, Thunderbird Latest, Defender
tanstaafl

Re: Set same master password on copied profile in 2nd comput

Post by tanstaafl »

I'm confused. If you copied a profile that used a master password to another computer I'd expect both computers to have and use the same master password. Did you copy the complete profile or only selected files?

You could try telling the second computer to remove the master password. That's the same fix for when Thunderbird thinks you set a master password and you didn't. This will delete all saved passwords as a side effect so you will need to enter them again, and then add a master password. Since you're adding one, not changing it, there should be no problem using the old value.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Master_password
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Protect_the_profiles_contents

If you have this problem again you might want to consider storing your profile in a password protected encrypted disk partition instead. You don't have to use a real partition, typically this type of software also supports file containers, a way to make a file act like a partition. Veracrypt would be a good choice if you decide to do that. Its also much more secure than a master password.
Flycaster

Re: Set same master password on copied profile in 2nd comput

Post by Flycaster »

I copied the full profile. I do think that the desktop's TB PW was carried over, but somehow not accessed...at least I couldn't find it. Why do I say this? When I tried to enter this as a new PW into the Surface's TB, it wasn't accepted. So, being a little lazy, I changed one character in the TB PW, and it was accepted. Thanks for your help.
Windows 11, FF Latest, Edge v94, Thunderbird Latest, Defender