Cannot login TB after Gmail password change

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
vev46

Cannot login TB after Gmail password change

Post by vev46 »

I recently had to change my password on one of my Gmails. I am using POP mail, not IMAP. I also changed it in Thunderbird, but I now get "Sending of password for user ************ did not succeed. Mail server pop.gmail.com responded: Web login required: https://support.google.com/mail/answer/78754". I double-checked my settings on both TB and Gmail, comparing settings to a different Gmail also in my TB, which works 100%. I am running TB 60.5. Please, anyone, respond with any possible answers, much appreciated!
Last edited by LIMPET235 on February 13th, 2019, 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Some slight text editing.
DanRaisch

Re: Cannot login TB after Gmail password change

Post by DanRaisch »

Did you restart Thunderbird after changing the password?
Go to TOOLS > OPTIONS >SECURITY > PASSWORDS tab> SAVED PASSWORDS button and there you can delete old passwords. Restart Thunderbird to ensure that the stored password is cleared from memory. The next time you "Get Mail" Thunderbird will ask for the password and you can check the box to remember the value.
vev46

Post by vev46 »

Thanks for the reply. I did restart TB, same result. Maybe the problem is a setting in the Gmail acct, but I thought I made sure everything matched up to the working Gmail acct. BTW, when I first set up TB as the client for Gmail, I had to choose Less Secure App Access in order to use TB. Is that still the case, and could it have something to do with my current problem?

Thanks
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

I had to choose Less Secure App Access in order to use TB. Is that still the case,
I dont't know if that has something to do with the current problem but it is still necessary to use that setting in Gmail.
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

Have you logged into your mail account via webmail (i.e. log in with your internet browser)? There may be a CAPTCHA you need to satisfy for that account before you can connect via an email client like TBird.

You need the "less secure" Gmail setting, unless you choose to set TBird up to use Gmail's OAuth2 authentication setting, which TBird does support in current versions.

More OAuth2 info:
  • Google (and now Yahoo and perhaps others) have gone to Google's OAuth2 protocol for email authentication. Despite their labeling other protocols as "less secure", OAuth2 is really no more secure* than more traditional methods (sending username and password), but does provide them some internal benefits in that it allows you to use your Google or Yahoo account to log into other sites like Facebook, Microsoft, Twitter, etc.

You can set your Thunderbird to use the Oauth2 authentication if you choose via the "Authentication method" item under Server Settings.

Or, you can tell Google/Yahoo to accept traditional non-Oauth2 authentication methods by logging into your Google/Yahoo account using a web browser and going to your Security settings. Enable "Allow apps that use less secure sign in".

* In fact, OAuth2 may well be LESS secure than traditional methods. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OAuth#Security
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Thanks, Doug. I've intentionally avoided Oauth2 and keep forgetting that option for Gmail.
vev46

Post by vev46 »

The only thing I can think of at this time, since my settings in Gmail AND TB are identical to a different functioning Gmail with TB client, is the new password itself, which has 2 special characters, and is much longer than the previous one. I will change the password again w/o special characters & see what happens.

BTW, Makai Guy, there was never a CAPTCHA that I needed to satisfy.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

I don't know how long your new Gmail password was intended to be but I seem to recall seeing reports of problems with Google if the passwords were too long.
vev46

Post by vev46 »

Nope, nothing I tried has worked. I googled "Gmail support", and I called a toll-free # thinking it was Google, but was only a rep with an accent who eventually disclosed that there would be a fee of >$100. Same thing with a second # I called. I posted the problem on the Gmail Help Forum URL: https://productforums.google.com/forum/ ... iscussions, waiting for answers. I will consider deleting the account and setting up a new e-mail account, NOT Gmail.