TB 60.3.3X64 email text encoding problem

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
bob c

TB 60.3.3X64 email text encoding problem

Post by bob c »

win7 X64 tb 60.3.3 x64 having a problem with some emails that come in with bad lettering. Not all--just some, but my wife's TB does not do this. An example

She isn’t like any other baleen whale. Unlike all other whales, she doesn’t have friends. She doesn’t have a family. She doesn’t belong to any tribe, pack or gang. She doesn’t have a lover.

This is just part of the email she sent me. The 't part of these words are not the only words that did this, as in the example--isn't--as shown above. Read so much now, check unicode, everything that I can think of. Googled it and nothing seems to help. This part is strange, she has a good email of this in TB, no funny lettering, gets ready to forward it to me, hits the Send button, the spell check comes up and tells her that (as in 1 example above), that the word showing "isn't" is spelled wrong, when we are both looking at it, and it is indeed spelled correctly. Along with all the other words being correct. So she sends it to me anyway, it should come in as seen, but it doesn't, it comes in as shown above. I've done so much on this now, I give up. I don't have a clue.

If it's bad encoding, why does it show correct on her TB., TB says it is spelled wrong, when it is not, and sends to me and shows bad.

Any help greatly appreciated.
tanstaafl

Re: TB 60.3.3X64 email text encoding problem

Post by tanstaafl »

Try changing mailnews.force_charset_override to false using the config editor at tools -> option -> advanced -> general

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1249721

If that doesn't help then you have a mismatch in the character text encoding - tweak view -> character encoding. Usually choosing Unicode works well.
bob c

Post by bob c »

Thanks tanstaafl, problem solved, but I wonder if TB 60.3.3 has a bug. Here's why.

I went through the exact same procedure as Penny did when she copied and place that pic and text in her email, and then forwarded it to me. I had her watch to make sure it was done exactly as before. The pic of the baleen whale and the text came through perfect, with your suggestion and reading that support page. But is this a bug, and I use the example above in my 1st post, knowing that the text showed and came thru perfect-----

when TB was given the button to send, the spell check came up again, as normal, but reported that every instance of a word with 't, was misspelled, suggesting a different word. It should not be looking at "isn't" an acceptable English word, also "doesn't" (TB reported wrong), acceptable English word, as being misspelled.

What do you think?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I doubt its a bug in the spell checker code. If there was, there would have been many posts about it. Maybe there is a mismatch between the version of Thunderbird and the dictionary you are using, or your personal dictionary got corrupted. I'm using both the default dictionary with 60.5 and the British English (Marco Pinto) 2.69 dictionary (which uses the WebExtension API, so it requires 60.5 or later) and neither has a problem with "isn't wasn't can't" .