Release 60.5 hangs

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Mikexx

Release 60.5 hangs

Post by Mikexx »

This is a pain. I can revert to 52.9.1 and all is well apart from the spell checker doesn't work.

60.5.0 hangs and freezes
60.5.1 has feature that stop working such as right-click but then slows and hangs.

Any suggestions?
tanstaafl

Re: Release 60.5 hangs

Post by tanstaafl »

Hold down the shift key while clicking on the Thunderbird shortcut to start it in safe mode (add-ons disabled). Perhaps one of your add-ons is having problems.

If that doesn't help create a new profile (with just one account) using the profile manager and see if it has the same problem. If it doesn't then we can help you migrate your data between profiles. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager

See if http://kb.mozillazine.org/Performance_-_Thunderbird gives you any other ideas. Unfortunately, unless a default setting such as enabling hardware acceleration changes due to a different version (it wouldn't in your case), none of those suggestions is version specific.
BuddhaNature

Post by BuddhaNature »

With respect to the spellchecker problems. If you are using the Marco Pinto English GB/UK speller then you should read this read through and understand why it isn't working properly. Spell Check Errors
Mikexx

Post by Mikexx »

BuddhaNature wrote:With respect to the spellchecker problems. If you are using the Marco Pinto English GB/UK speller then you should read this read through and understand why it isn't working properly. Spell Check Errors
I have removed the Marco Pinto spell check addon and it still hangs, though seemingly less often. Task Manager to the rescue.

In fact I have no Addons or extensions.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I repeat my suggestion that you try a new profile with just one account. If that works okay then you can migrate your mail and address books (but NOT your settings) to it, and add the other accounts. Creating a new profile is a pain, but it does solve many puzzling problems.
Mikexx

Post by Mikexx »

tanstaafl wrote:I repeat my suggestion that you try a new profile with just one account. If that works okay then you can migrate your mail and address books (but NOT your settings) to it, and add the other accounts. Creating a new profile is a pain, but it does solve many puzzling problems.
This also happens when in Safe mode.

Since this might happen after a day or two I'm not prepared to make a new profile in the belief this will solve my problem. In the past I've done this on a number of occasions without any improvement and the easiest solution is to wind back to 52.9

If someone wants to send a version with embedded diagnostics I would happily oblige.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Unfortunately the built-in logging is mainly for network protocols and gloda. There is no built-in logging for general startup.
Mikexx

Post by Mikexx »

tanstaafl wrote:Unfortunately the built-in logging is mainly for network protocols and gloda. There is no built-in logging for general startup.
This isn't at startup.

I'm surprised a thread can be blocked without a timeout or any clue as to why. The previous version of Thunderbird didn't hang in this way. Perhaps by luck rather than design?