Dellays when delecting messages

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
kastigar

Dellays when delecting messages

Post by kastigar »

There's several seconds delay when deleting a message, using either a mouse-click or the DELete key.

When marking several messages at once for deletion it hangs up and I need to terminate the program and start over.

I'm using Thunderbird 6.5.0 under Windows 10 64-bit.
makaiguy

Re: Dellays when delecting messages

Post by makaiguy »

Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
kastigar

Post by kastigar »

I stopped allowing Windows to search message. Exit and restarted Thunderbird. This didn't help.
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

Is this an IMAP account or a POP account? Find out via Menu Path:
  • [If running on Windows or OSX]: Tools | Account Settings, or
    [If running on Linux]: Edit | Account Settings
    .. then, in the left pane, under the account name, Server Settings
The type of account (IMAP or POP) will be shown in the right pane.

If an IMAP account, TBird must contact your mail server and tell it to delete the message, then wait for the deletion to be confirmed. If the mail server is busy or overloaded, this can take some time.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
kastigar

Post by kastigar »

It's IMAP. Some time ago gmail stopped accepting POP3 and I had to switch to IMAP. I had a hard time understand the requirements but I got it done and it has been working. I'm not sure why gmail made this change.

Under Account Settings/Server Settings there were three buttons for "When I delete a message..." and it was set to move the deleted message to a folder "All Mail" but I just changed that to "Remove it immediately" and that seemed to fix the problem.

JHowever, when I accessed my gmail account directly with Firefox I noticed none of the messages had been deleted and over 2500 message were stacked up. Since I'm already downloaded them I presume I can just delete them all from the server.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Some time ago gmail stopped accepting POP3
Gmail still supports POP accounts.
I just changed that to "Remove it immediately"
You also need to settings on the Google web mail pages. Click on the Gear icon then select Settings->Forward and POP/IMAP. Select the delete action of your choice.