file names for importing items from one profile to another

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
aainsp

file names for importing items from one profile to another

Post by aainsp »

I have had to install a new profile to get around the problem of supposedly password incorrect. I would like to import some of the folders and filters from my previous profile into the new one. i got the address book but any idea what file names should be copied from one profile to another?
DanRaisch

Re: file names for importing items from one profile to anoth

Post by DanRaisch »

Filter definitions are stored in a file named "msgFilterRules.dat" and there will be one such fkile for each account in the Thunderbird profile.

How is the account (or accounts) set up in Thunderbird, as POP or IMAP? Find out using menu path Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.
aainsp

Post by aainsp »

Set up as a POP account.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

OK, then to transfer messages you can copy over the mbox files that contain your message data. They will have the same names as the folders you see in the left hand pane of the main Thunderbird window, eg Inbox, Sent, Trash, Drafts, Junk, etc. Mbox files will have no file name extension, so while the file Inbox contains your message data, the file Inbox.msf is not a message file but a sort of index of the message data in the file Inbox.
aainsp

Post by aainsp »

DanRaisch,
I reread my older posts where you suggested to delete the .msf files in that profile. Magic happened. I copied your suggestion to a Word document and saved it. Thank you for your excellent quick help.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You’re welcome.