MozillaZine

"Leave mail on server" isn't working . . .

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Bruce L.

Post Posted March 6th, 2019, 2:14 pm

Dan, I checked and my video driver was from May 2018 so I am currently DL-ing the latest driver. Card is a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 16GB.

Diane: Thanks for the tip. I think I have seen that on my new PC but didn't pay much attention to it. I will try it after I get the new driver downloaded.

Then, if nothing shows up, I will do the RAM test.

The only way I know to see if it's fixed is to try opening Tbird, and if there is still a problem then I will get another BSOD. A question: Does getting the BSOD damage anything in any way?

DanRaisch

Post Posted March 6th, 2019, 2:21 pm

A question: Does getting the BSOD damage anything in any way?

They represent a risk of data loss if programs have data files open when the crash occurs, but otherwise, no. https://www.pcworld.com/article/2026248 ... uter-.html

Bruce L.

Post Posted March 6th, 2019, 3:43 pm

Well here we go (thanks for that last bit of info about crashing, Dan. I'd hate to wreck this new PC because of this).

I updated the drivers for the vid card and a second item under "Display Adapters" in the Device Manager. It is something Intel, but whatever it is it has the latest driver now also.

I do not have the Dell program that Diane mentioned, but I do have something called "Dell Update." I ran it, and everything was okay.

So I rebooted and opened Tbird . . . no crash! That was 15-20 minutes ago, still good!

I'm thinking I'll run the RAM test anyway, unless you don't think it's necessary at this point. :?:

DanRaisch

Post Posted March 6th, 2019, 4:39 pm

I'm thinking I'll run the RAM test anyway, unless you don't think it's necessary at this point.

It can't do any harm and will give you a baseline to use in the future if any questions about memory should arise.

Bruce L.

Post Posted March 7th, 2019, 3:11 pm

Dan, here's the latest: I thought all was well but it crashed again upon manually checking mail on TB this afternoon.

Yesterday: After updating the drivers I opened FF and GibbsCAM, monkeyed with them, left it alone with FF tabs set to refresh, and TB checking email regularly, all was well after a couple of hours.

Then I streamed radio for a while (which is what I was doing the first time it crashed), and no problems. So it ran for probably three hours and zero issues.

Today: I ran the RAM test for 3 hours, showed no errors.

Although it had already been open for a while, I checked for new mail manually and instantly got the BSOD again.

I DLd the "Blue Screen Viewer" from that link you posted yesterday and got a report as to what happened but it's all jibberish to me, except for one item. Here is the .txt file report, note the item I made red. What do I do with this info? I did Google it and got a bunch of stuff (could be virus, or related to W updates, etc. etc. Fixing it is beyond my knowledge). Crashes have ONLY happened when opening TB, or like today when I checked mail manually with the button on the top left corner.

==================================================
Dump File : 030719-8406-01.dmp
Crash Time : 3/7/2019 4:05:45 PM
Bug Check String : IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Bug Check Code : 0x0000000a
Parameter 1 : 00000000`0080a74f
Parameter 2 : 00000000`00000002
Parameter 3 : 00000000`00000000
Parameter 4 : fffff803`2c65b575
Caused By Driver : ntoskrnl.exe
Caused By Address : ntoskrnl.exe+1b3440
File Description : NT Kernel & System
Product Name : Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Company : Microsoft Corporation
File Version : 10.0.17763.316 (WinBuild.160101.0800)
Processor : x64
Crash Address : ntoskrnl.exe+1b3440
Stack Address 1 :
Stack Address 2 :
Stack Address 3 :
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\030719-8406-01.dmp
Processors Count : 6
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 17763
Dump File Size : 1,105,676
Dump File Time : 3/7/2019 4:07:21 PM
==================================================

Bruce L.

Post Posted March 13th, 2019, 5:25 pm

A follow-up: Good news, so far anyway. The PC has been running all day, every day, since Monday morning -- Tbird, FF, CAM program all running and no issues.

I called a buddy of mine, who I haven't talked to in some time although we don't live that far apart. He's been working on computers since the '70s and has helped me out too many times to count. I told him everything, and sent the crash reports to him, which he found interesting but didn't agree that the supposed problem file (previous post ^ in red) was actually a driver -- because I didn't have any hardware problems, nor any new HW installs. Opening Tbird was making it crash but it's only software, of course.

He asked me some questions about my new PC, like what I had for anti-virus and/or malware programs. When I said it came with McAfee and it was active, he said shut it off and any third-party anti-virus programs, which I didn't have. And make sure Windows Defender was all active and running properly -- which it was.

I uninstalled McAfee, which I've never heard much good about, (it took two tries plus two registry scans) and I also stopped "Malwarebytes" from doing automatic scans. That was Monday morning and everything has been fine since.

Seems like the problem is solved, or so I hope. At any rate, thanks Dan and others who were a big help. I realized that we were getting away from what this forum is supposed to be for -- but you still helped anyway and didn't tell me to get lost!

Thanks again, and maybe all this will help someone else in the future. If I don't post back, you'll know the problem was solved. :D

Return to Thunderbird Support