Large folder, file in TB profile

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Ed1

Large folder, file in TB profile

Post by Ed1 »

I am running 64-bit TB 60.5.2 on a Windows x64 computer. My email accounts are IMAP. I have a couple of TB profiles set up, as I used one to test some addon issues. I noticed a couple of different items from one profile the the other.

1. "Chrome_debugger.profile" - this is a large folder located within my primary profile folder. It is not in my newer testing profile. It is 12MB in size and contains some folders and files that one would expect in a normal profile. I am not doing any debugging that I know of, though I suppose I could have turned on some debugging setting a long time ago. Is it safe to just delete this "chrome_debugger.profile" folder? Is there a debugging setting that I should turn off first?

2. "global-messages-db.sqlite" - this is a file of about 8MB on my primary profile and 11MB on my testing profile. These files both have dates several months ago. What are these files for and why are they so large? Are they in any way related to whether I have TB set to keep messages on the local computer? (I do not, but maybe did before I turned off this setting when first setting up the profile.) Or whether I have global search and indexing on for TB messages? (I do not, but again may have first run these profiles with the setting on before I turned it off.)
Last edited by Ed1 on March 3rd, 2019, 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
DanRaisch

Re: Large folder, file in TB profile

Post by DanRaisch »

1. "Chrome_debugger.profile" -
The Knowledge Base is unavailable right now so I can't look up info on that file but try this link later -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Thunderbird
2. "global-messages-db.sqlite"
That file is an index supporting the Global Search and Indexing function of Thunderbird. It can be deleted to force Thunderbird to recreate it should there be any issues with finding messages known to be in the profile but not being found by the global search process. The Global Search option can be switched on/off under menu path Tools->Options->Advanced->General->Advanced Configuration section.
morat

Post by morat »

The chrome_debugger_profile folder is created when you use Tools > Developer Tools > Developer Toolbox.

I just closed the application, then deleted the chrome_debugger_profile folder in my profile, then opened the application. No problems to report.

Developer Toolbox
http://developer.mozilla.org/en/Tools/Browser_Toolbox

Similar thread
http://support.mozilla.org/questions/1201192
Ed1

Post by Ed1 »

Thanks, Dan and morat, for the information and links.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You're welcome.