new pc

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
bgreenage

new pc

Post by bgreenage »

How can I transfer my settings and email from my old pc to my new win 10 pc.
tanstaafl

Re: new pc

Post by tanstaafl »

sfhowes

Post by sfhowes »

bgreenage

Post by bgreenage »

OK, so I ran the Mozbackup tool and also copied the profile from the old pc. So which one should I use? So I copied the entire profile from the old pc into the profile folder in the new pc where there are now two profiles old and new. The only one working is the old. How do I get the new to work. and where does it go?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Thunderbird doesn't auto-discover a profile just because its in the Profiles directory tree. If you don't care about the contents of the existing profile on the new PC (which I assume is really just a stub of a profile created by the new account wizard), copy the contents of the profile from your old PC over it.
bgreenage

Post by bgreenage »

So I ran the Mozbackup. It created a file Thunderbird 60.5.2 (en-US)-2019-03-19.pcv. Is that what should have happened? Then I ran %appdata%. It opened up the new profile. C/users/myname/roaming/thunderbird/profiles/8 digit letter number combination.default. Where do I put the .pcv file? Sorry I'm not getting this but I am confused. Please help
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

* Copy the *.pcv file to the new PC. Whatever directory you use for downloads would be fine.
* Install Mozbackup on the new PC
* Install Thunderbird on the new PC, run it once and immediately exit out of Thunderbird (i.e. abort the new account wizard and exit). This is just to create a known profile, so that Mozbackup can overwrite one with the backed up profile. If you already ran Thunderbird on the new PC you can skip this step.
* Tell Mozbackup to restore the profile (using the *.pcv file).

http://kb.mozillazine.org/MozBackup
bgreenage

Post by bgreenage »

Thank you so much it worked perfectly. Would i use the same procedure to get my firefox profile in the new pc?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Yes. There is no equivalent of new account wizard in Firefox, but it should create a profile the first time you run it.
bgreenage

Post by bgreenage »

Yes, that worked great also. Thanks for your help.