Thunderbird 60.5.3 Mac OS Configuration File Issue

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
artmanphoto

Thunderbird 60.5.3 Mac OS Configuration File Issue

Post by artmanphoto »

I am using Thunderbird 60.5.3 on a Macbook Pro (Mac OS) laptop. In an attempt to increase the screen font size using the Configuration File preference "layout.css.devPixelsPerPx" I entered a number value too large and the screen font increased so much that I am no longer to see the "Config Editor" button in Options-General-Advanced to open the Config Editor to change the preference to a smaller number to make the screen font smaller.

I am hoping to locate the Configuration File in Thunderbird in the Macbook "Finder" and make a manual change in the preference to a smaller number to reduce the screen font size.

Can some please tell me where the Configuration File is located in Thunderbird 60.5.3 in Mac OS so I can attempt to make the change? Is there any other way to fix this issue?

If not, the only solution I know is to re-install Thunderbird onto my Macbook Pro.

Thanks very much for your help.

Bill
Bill Artman,
Kansas City - USA
tanstaafl

Re: Thunderbird 60.5.3 Mac OS Configuration File Issue

Post by tanstaafl »

The setting is stored in the prefs.js file in your profile. Its a ordinary text file, even though the file extension implies its javascript. While its normally easier to edit settings using the built-in config editor you could use a text editor (NOT a word processor) to edit the setting in prefs.js. I suggest you backup that file beforehand. Help -> troubleshooting information -> open folder should launch "finder" to display your profile directory.

Example: A value of 120 seconds for the integer mailnews.tcptimeout setting is stored as user_pref("mailnews.tcptimeout", 120); in the prefs.js file.
artmanphoto

Re: Thunderbird 60.5.3 Mac OS Configuration File Issue

Post by artmanphoto »

tanstaafl;

Thank you very much for your quick reply to my question and for instructions on how to correct my Config file issue. It worked and I was able to change the setting back to what is was originally.

Thanks again for your help. Have a great week!
Bill Artman,
Kansas City - USA