"Leave messages on server" means???

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Flycaster

"Leave messages on server" means???

Post by Flycaster »

I am using a POP account with Comcast. I have set up the TB acct so that under Servers, I have "Leave message on server" for 30 days. Does this mean that whatever emails that are on the server will be deleted from the server after 30 days. I ask this question becsue when I go to my comcast account on the net, I note that there are 100s of emails being saved and it is a PITA to have to keep deleting them.
Windows 11, FF Latest, Edge v94, Thunderbird Latest, Defender
tanstaafl

Re: "Leave messages on server" means???

Post by tanstaafl »

It means that Thunderbird should delete those messages after thirty days. However, you might have checked the nearby checkbox "until I delete them". If you did that it wouldn't care how old the message are, it would only delete the original on the server if you deleted the downloaded copy.
Flycaster

Post by Flycaster »

tanstaafl wrote:It means that Thunderbird should delete those messages after thirty days. However, you might have checked the nearby checkbox "until I delete them". If you did that it wouldn't care how old the message are, it would only delete the original on the server if you deleted the downloaded copy.
So, bottom line, if I leave things as they are (delete after 30 days and no box checked,) then when I go to my comcast acct, there should be no signs of mail past 30 days from TB deletion???
Windows 11, FF Latest, Edge v94, Thunderbird Latest, Defender
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Yes.
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

I believe TBird tells the POP server to delete mails due for deletion at the time when it checks for new mails. If you do not have TBird set to check for new mail regularly, old messages may sit on the server for more than 30 days, until the next time TBird checks for new mail.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers