delete old profile & save files

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
OldCanoeist

delete old profile & save files

Post by OldCanoeist »

I have an old profile which contains emails. I would like to combine the emails with the current profile. Where will the files appear after they are saved & how to combine them with the current profile emails?
tanstaafl

Re: delete old profile & save files

Post by tanstaafl »

Export them as mbox files using the ImportExportTools add-on. An example of a mbox file for the inbox folder would be "inbox.". The "inbox.msf" files don't have any messages and can be ignored. You can use the same add-on to import the files into your new profile. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Importing_folders starts off by talking about how to install that add-on and use it to import, but that same add-on can be used to export.

Alternatively you could try copying mbox files (they're named after the folder but have no file extension, and contain all of the messages for the corresponding mail folder) to the "Local Folders" accounts directory in the new profile, and then moving the messages to another folder normally using Thunderbird. That would work if you renamed the mbox files to have unique names before moving them. i.e. rename "inbox." to "inbox1." so that you don't clobber the existing inbox folder in "Local Folders".