MozillaZine

Deleted messages later reappearing in In-Box?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Flycaster

Post Posted April 12th, 2019, 5:20 am

Need some help with my server settings. I have "server settings" set to leave messages on server (Comcast) for 5 days, assuming that on the 6th day, these messages will be deleted from Comcast's server. However, I'm now finding that messages from a couple of weeks ago (messages that I have deleted from Thunderbird) are now appearing in my in-box. Obviously, I need to know how get deleted messages in Thunderbird to be also deleted within the Comcast server??? I know I can delete those messages by going to Comcast and deleting them, but if possible, I'd like this process to be automatic.
Windows 10 H 64-bit, Quantum The Latest, Chrome v68, IE11, Thunderbird The Latest, Avast Pro

tanstaafl

Post Posted April 12th, 2019, 5:35 am

POP or IMAP account?

Deleted messages getting resurrected is a classic symptom of a corrupt folder. "Corrupt folders tend to occur when you have lots of messages in a folder, many of them are deleted, and you don't compact often enough. This is usually only a problem for the inbox folder as while other folders may get very large you typically don't delete messages in them often. It's recommended that you keep the number of messages in your inbox small, and move any you want to permanently keep to other folders/child folders."

See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Compacting_folders#Real_fix

Flycaster

Post Posted April 12th, 2019, 5:47 am

tanstaafl wrote:POP or IMAP account?

Deleted messages getting resurrected is a classic symptom of a corrupt folder. "Corrupt folders tend to occur when you have lots of messages in a folder, many of them are deleted, and you don't compact often enough. This is usually only a problem for the inbox folder as while other folders may get very large you typically don't delete messages in them often. It's recommended that you keep the number of messages in your inbox small, and move any you want to permanently keep to other folders/child folders."

See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Compacting_folders#Real_fix

POP account.
Although a corrupt folder could be the probelm, I doubt it as I am always emptying the inbox/sentbox and deleting trash along with performing compacting. I keep a very clean inbox. What about "server settings?" Anything there that i should attend to?
Windows 10 H 64-bit, Quantum The Latest, Chrome v68, IE11, Thunderbird The Latest, Avast Pro

tanstaafl

Post Posted April 12th, 2019, 6:05 am

It sounds like you have reasonable server settings ("for at most 5 days"). Its usually the local inbox folder (not the one on the POP server) that is getting corrupted. It would help to log into webmail using a browser and verify that the resurrected messages do not show up as new mail there.

If you rely upon automated compacting that doesn't do well if most of your messages are small, since the threshold is very large (a minimum of 1MB of wasted space), under the assumption that nowadays everybody regularly gets large messages.

Try repairing your inbox folder listing by right clicking on it in the folder pane, selecting properties, and then pressing the repair folder button. That would help if the problem is a corrupt inbox.msf file, and not the "inbox." file (where the messages are stored).

Is this problem only with your Comcast account? i.e. are there other POP accounts that don;t have this problem?

Flycaster

Post Posted April 12th, 2019, 7:29 am

Don't have other POP accounts. Did as you suggested (Repair Folder,) and i guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens. Thanks.

Return to Thunderbird Support