MozillaZine

Quota root popped up at 80% I have no idea what it is

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
miss_kitty

Post Posted May 8th, 2019, 8:28 am

So yesterday, I opened my gmail IMAP account as usual. I also have a comcast acct on POP. I never get stuff from that email anymore.
Anyway, to the left of how many unreads and total boxes in the tool bar, a little window that just says 80% popped up and when I clicked on it, I got a folder properties window that told me my quota root was at 80%.

I delete on a daily basis, compact and empty trash. What else do I need to do?
Windows 7

tanstaafl

Post Posted May 8th, 2019, 1:01 pm

Quota root is technobabble for the maximum mailbox size (how much stuff can you store in the remote folders)

I know Thunderbird warns you when your IMAP mailbox starts getting full but that isn't the wording I've seen in the past. What is the complete error message? If it contains a email address please replace the username portion of it with something generic such as "username" to protect your privacy.

Please also right click on the gmail inbox in the folder pane, select properties and then the quota tab. What are the usage and status fields set to?

Its possible your mailbox is getting too full, but those quota numbers have a history of not being accurate. What does https://www.google.com/settings/storage?hl=en say you are using? Google mail, drive and photos use the same available space. See https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-check-y ... ta-3572140

If you are genuinely running out of space you could move some messages to folders in "Local Folders" (store on your hard drive).

https://smithfarm-thebrain.blogspot.com ... -show.html explains the settings used to determine various thresholds . It has mail.quota.mainwindow_threshold.warning set at 85 (what I think caused the window you saw) but it is 80 nowadays.

miss_kitty

Post Posted May 8th, 2019, 1:27 pm

Let's see. There is no error message. When I click on the 80% lozenge, it brings up the property window you are telling me to open with the right click which shows a window labeled 'Quota Root' with "" inside it. The window is live. Under that it says 'Usage' and the window is 12,507,150 of 15,728,640 KB used. Under that is a bar graph with what is 80% (I imagine) blued out.
The tabs on the window are Gen Info, Retention Policy, Sync, Sharing and the one that comes up, Quota. Sharing is not supported, I have no other devices to sync, and the rest is default settings.
Google says I am using 11.79 of 15 GB, also known as 79%.

I have been removing my sent emails from Thunderbird and removing photo attachments from emails in local storage. I noticed in the past when I tried to delete my gmail on the gmail site, it downloaded everything I was trying to ditch to my computer, which made it run hot and slow until I found 25,000 emails in my trash. Is there a way to get stuff out of gmail w/o it passing through Thunderbird?

Hey and thanks for helping!
Windows 7

tanstaafl

Post Posted May 8th, 2019, 2:12 pm

See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Minimize_the_ ... _a_profile , http://kb.mozillazine.org/Deleting_mess ... P_accounts and http://kb.mozillazine.org/Search_-_Thunderbird

If you uncheck Tools -> Account Settings -> Account Name -> Synchronization & Storage -> "Keep messages for this account on the computer" and Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> General -> Enable Global Search and Indexer it will not download any mail to your hard disk anymore. It will only fetch them (one at a time) into memory as needed when you open them. This should eliminate a lot of overhead. You can still search without global search, but it will be limited to the current folder. If you don't use a calendar consider deleting the Lightning add-on, its a resource hog.

You can also simplify what happens when you delete a message. In tools -> account settings -> account_name -> server settings -> "when I delete a message" set it to "remove it immediately". That will delete a message without moving it to the trash folder. That might be useful if you are doing mass deletions. You will still have to compact the folders later on to physically delete the messages, they have been marked deleted and hidden from view, but still exist. Afterwards you can restore the setting to "move it to trash".

miss_kitty

Post Posted May 8th, 2019, 2:17 pm

Ok. I am making this 80% go down by deleting ages old emails google decided to keep under forums for me. I deleted these emails when they were current years ago, on Thunderbird only. I didn't realize gmail had other plans. I'm having to look at names I never thought I'd have to see again. I have about 43,000 to go. I have dropped 2 percentile points by getting rid of all of 2011. Now I'm moving 2012, 50 at a time. And every so often, I have to delete them from Thunderbird again, because it's how google does it. Plus gmail keeps promos and updates I deleted long ago from Thunderbird.

Another guy on our list just got cut off by the same thing.
Windows 7

miss_kitty

Post Posted May 8th, 2019, 2:54 pm

So I did the second change, but Gmail still dumps onto my hard drive. Anyway, this looks to be not a Thunderbird issue so much as it is gmail holding email I believed was long gone.
It has been creating a load of empty undeletable local folders under Trash I have no idea about. I'm up to 6 now.
Windows 7

tanstaafl

Post Posted May 8th, 2019, 5:02 pm

I suggest you take a moment and log into gmail webmail using a browser, click on the settings, and look at the pop&imap tab. There are a lot of overrides possible that can cause havoc. Perhaps several of them are set. You might also have some problems due to smart labels.

I've had problems with undeletable stuff in a trash folder before. The workaround was to temporarily switch "when I delete a message" to "just mark it as deleted", and then delete the stuff.

miss_kitty

Post Posted May 8th, 2019, 5:30 pm

I did go to the google settings and chose a choice that was 'delete it immediately'; the default was to archive--I think the other choice is the one you mention. I went back to deleting the things, 50 at a time, they still go into Thunderbird trash, compacting every now an again, and I started in 2011, and got into 2016 (all those dead rock stars!) and removed enough to get down to 50%, under 27,000 down from 48,000, and I'll just tackle emptying it over the next few days. And check often to make sure they aren't archiving stuff I throw in trash. I mean, I get 200 emails or so a day. I thought when I was moving them to trash, they were going away. No wonder people get caught with bad emails--they don't know all the places to look...

Thanks loads for your help. :)
Windows 7

Return to Thunderbird Support