MozillaZine

Google Contact and gContactSync don't work so...?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
mozillallizom

Post Posted May 13th, 2019, 3:02 pm

I have sync'd gmail contacts to thunderbird using gContactSync for ages. It stopped working for me about a month ago, and have not been able to raise any help from the developer. There is some chance that the failure has to do with whatever changes came with tbird 60. The gContactSync project seems very quiet. Google Contacts is normally mentioned as an alternate sync add on but from what I've read that project has been down and out for years.

Lots of people use gmail and thunderbird; what are you using? Without sync'd contacts thunderbird seems far less viable.

tanstaafl

Post Posted May 13th, 2019, 3:36 pm

See https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/th ... /cardbook/ . You just need a email provider that supports CardDAV.
Google Contacts, GMail, Yahoo, Fastmail, AOL... do.

mozillallizom

Post Posted May 13th, 2019, 8:27 pm

Thanks for that tip. I've checked out cardbook a bit. I see that I can create a remote addressbook that gets the emails I have in gmail, great. But due to a bug in gmail (at least per forum posts) it will not sync gmail labels which are critical for me. Bummer...I wish tbird had this capability integrated, or as stable as lightning is.

Return to Thunderbird Support