MozillaZine

Your message was sent but a copy was not placed in your sent

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Skyzoomer

Post Posted June 8th, 2019, 12:44 pm

When sending an email with multiple attachments, I'm getting the error:

"Your message was sent but a copy was not placed in your sent folder (Sent Mail) due to network or file access errors.
You can retry or save the message locally to Local Folders/Sent Mail-xxxxxxx@gmail.com."

(not sure why the "Mail-xxxxxxx@gmail.com" is blue instead of red. I did not do that.)

Here's the results of my testing:

Email with Attachment-1 and one large attachment does NOT get the error:
- Attachment-1.zip ..... (4236 KB)
- Attachment-2.pdf .... (2915 KB)

Email with Attachment-1 and two large attachments gets the error:
- Attachment-3.pdf .... (1894 KB)

But email with Attachment-1 and two small attachments does NOT get the error:
- Attachment-5.pdf .... (731 KB)
- Attachment-6.pdf .... (232 KB)

I can send the email with these 5 attachments (omitting attachment-1) and the error does NOT occur:
- Attachment-3.pdf .... (1894 KB)
- Attachment-4.pdf .... (1817 KB)
- Attachment-5.pdf .... (731 KB)
- Attachment-6.pdf .... (232 KB)

So it appears that attachment-1 (4236 KB) is one of the key factors in causing the error.

Complex problem. Any ideas?
(Tbird 9.0.1 running on Win7 (x64) on Intel i5 system.) (Tbird 9.0.1 running on Vista on Dell Core 2 Duo T6400 laptop.)

tanstaafl

Post Posted June 8th, 2019, 7:47 pm

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Can_not_send_ ... ttachments

Sending a message (via SMTP) is done independently of uploading a saved copy (via IMAP), at the same time. Its possible to save a copy of the sent message before its sent, or even if the sending fails.

attachment 1 might actually be 1/3 larger due to the base64 encoding used by binary attachments. I suspect its not an attachment specific problem, it's caused by your total message size when its being uploaded over a poor tcp-ip connection. I also wouldn't expect the threshold (how large before it fails) to stay the same, it will vary a little.

Most of my accounts don't have this problem , but one (fastmail) does. The workaround I used was there is an optional setting available in the webmail settings page to configure the SMTP server to save a copy of the sent message for you, so that you can disable Thunderbird uploading a copy to your sent folder. That solved the problem. See if your email provider offers a feature like that.

Skyzoomer

Post Posted June 9th, 2019, 1:12 pm

tanstaafl wrote:http://kb.mozillazine.org/Can_not_send_large_attachments

Sending a message (via SMTP) is done independently of uploading a saved copy (via IMAP), at the same time. Its possible to save a copy of the sent message before its sent, or even if the sending fails.

attachment 1 might actually be 1/3 larger due to the base64 encoding used by binary attachments. I suspect its not an attachment specific problem, it's caused by your total message size when its being uploaded over a poor tcp-ip connection. I also wouldn't expect the threshold (how large before it fails) to stay the same, it will vary a little.

Most of my accounts don't have this problem , but one (fastmail) does. The workaround I used was there is an optional setting available in the webmail settings page to configure the SMTP server to save a copy of the sent message for you, so that you can disable Thunderbird uploading a copy to your sent folder. That solved the problem. See if your email provider offers a feature like that.

Thanks much for your reply! I'll look into what you posted and report results. May take a little while due to "Honey dos" backlog :wink: .
(Tbird 9.0.1 running on Win7 (x64) on Intel i5 system.) (Tbird 9.0.1 running on Vista on Dell Core 2 Duo T6400 laptop.)

Skyzoomer

Post Posted June 13th, 2019, 4:31 am

Skyzoomer wrote:
tanstaafl wrote:http://kb.mozillazine.org/Can_not_send_large_attachments

Thanks much for your reply! I'll look into what you posted and report results. May take a little while due to "Honey dos" backlog :wink: .

Have not been able to figure out how to configure the SMTP server to save a copy of the snet msg for me.

But I did find out some things:
I have 4 gmail accounts. Using Tbird, 2 accounts can send all of the attachments without any error. Two accounts get the error.

What happens using the accounts that work:
... 1. Delivering mail
... 2. Sending login information
... 3. Sending windows close and all is good.

What happens using the accounts that have the error:
... 1. Delivering mail
... 2. Sending login information
... 3. Sending login information
... 4. A window pops up saying "Connection to server imap.gmail.com timed out"

I made all of the settings in Tbird for one error account the same as for one good account. But the error on the bad account persists.
I made all of the settings in gmail for the two accounts the same but the error on the bad account persists.

Mind boggling so far,
Skyzoomer

Skyzoomer

Post Posted June 14th, 2019, 1:20 pm

I fixed my problem. Fix was to delete the gmail account that had the problem and add it again to Tbird. Now no errors even with all attachments sent.
Skyzoomer

EDIT: The fix was short lived. Same problem as before again. Copies are being placed in the sent mail folder (before and now) so no loss but the problem does cause long delays until the time out happens. Guess I'll just have to live with it, or split attachments into two emails to avoid the problem.

Return to Thunderbird Support